Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor
The Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor is a three-way active loudspeaker (3 internal amplifier channels), comprising two W cone 6.5 low/mid units, loaded with two large cross-section laminar ports, and an inverted pure Beryllium dome. The two 6.5 drive units operate at low frequencies but only one of them (either can be selected for mirrored stereo imaging) will reproduce the midrange, leaving the other to bolster the low frequency response.
The Twin6 Be is the best seller of the Focal Professional range and the most versatile work tool of the SM6 line. It represents the only necessary solution for recording, mixing and mastering. The image precision, treble definition as well as midrange neutrality are at the heart of its reputation. The excellent articulation of the bass and midbass registers, even at very high sound levels, makes it an unavoidable reference for engineers who require absolute transparency.
Furthermore, the design of the Twin6 Be permits a high SPL while at the same time offering a stable tonal balance. One of the two 6.5" woofers works in large band (midrange â" bass) whereas the other reproduces from 40 to 150Hz. This creates a bass that preserves all the signal dynamics, without any masking effect in the midrange, thereby keeping all its neutrality and transparency. Additional control of the bass register is accomplished by fine-tuning on the control plate on the back of the Twin6 Be in order to obtain a perfect mirror configuration with its mate.
The Twin6 Be can be installed vertically or horizontally to respond to the space requirements of each studio.
Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
The inverted dome tweeter is a hallmark of Focal. As a result of more than twenty years of development into a tweeter that could produce a high output, but without requiring high energy input and without increasing directivity. The introduction of the pure Beryllium dome, capable of covering 5 full octaves from 1,000 to 40,000Hz constitutes a new decisive advance regarding new audio formats. This tweeter capacity to reproduce high frequencies with unmatched speed and transparency. At first the pure Beryllium tweeter was only available on the very high-end digital speakers of the Focal Professional lines (SM8 & SM11), but is now featured on the new SM6 series, allowing an unprecedented price/performance ratio.
The W cone
Focal has been developing the technologies of composite sandwich cones for more than 15 years. The "W" process (Glass/Foam/Glass), used on the SM11, SM8 and SM6 lines, provides - a true optimization of the frequency response by fine tuning of mass, rigidity and damping parameters. The balance between these 3 fundamental and often contradictory parameters is at the base of the outstanding sound neutrality of our speakers.
A custom designed amplification stage
Designing an amp to be integrated inside a speaker requires a very different set of rules than for a traditional amp. Speaker size and cooling concerns are often in contradiction with the high quality and high power requirements of a sonically transparent speaker.
Focal engineers used the BASH technology to develop the bass/medium amplification circuit for the SM6 professional line of speakers. This was the only way to exploit the best of class AB style circuits (for exceptional quality) with a class D type yield, which is crucial when housing a 150W RMS circuit in such a small space (300W RMS for the Twin 6 and 350W RMS for the Sub6). A pure class AB circuit is sufficient to power the -less energy demanding- high frequency tweeter, allowing for an extremely wide bandwidth and exceptional accuracy.
The Solo6 Be is designed for near field monitoring and should be placed at a distance between 1 and 3 metres (3.3 to 9.9 feet) from the listener, pointing towards the listening position. They can be sitting on the console top or placed on appropriate stands. In any way it is recommended that the tweeter is at a height from the floor approximately equivalent to that of the listeners ears. If required it can make sense to place the speakers upside down so that the previous rule is better fulfilled.
By design the Twin6 Bes are rather intended for a landscape orientation, though in some situations they could be positioned vertically. As seen in the earlier rear panel description, the Twin6 Be has a switch allowing to choose which drive unit is to reproduce the mid frequencies (see below) (fig. E). Consequently it will always be possible, as desirable, to configure the speakers in a mirror (ie symetrical) way. As a general rule having the midrange driver on the inside of the cabinet results in better imaging.
Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor Features
- Rigid and durable MDF construction
- Pair of 6.5" "W" composite sandwich midwoofers, with one handling bass and the other handling mid-bass to preserve signal dynamics without masking midrange for neutral, transparent sound reproduction. Dual drivers also provide high SPL capability with stable tonal balance. A rear-panel switch lets you choose which speaker is handling which frequency band
- 1" Beryllium inverted dome tweeter provides crisp, clear treble
- Front laminar bass ports help to extend bass response
- Each driver is powered by its own amplifier for a total of 400W of power for a strong, distortion-free performance
- Standard XLR input connector allows you to connect to virtually any professional sound system
- Input sensitivity control and independent level controls for both the woofer and the tweeter allow you to adjust the monitor's acoustic response to create the best performance for your environment
- Magnetically shielded for safe use near video monitors and other electronic equipment
- Can be positioned horizontally or vertically for flexible placement
Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor Specifications
- Frequency response: 40Hz - 40kHz
- Maximum SPL: 115dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- ELECTRONIC SECTION
- Type/Impedance: Electronically balanced / 10 kOhms
- Connector: XLR
- Sensitivity: Adjustable, +4dBu ou -10dBV
- LF amplifier stage: 150W rms, BASH technology
- LF/MF amplifier stage: 150W rms, BASH technology
- HF amplifier stage: 100W rms, class AB
- Power supply
- Main Voltage:
- 230V (2A fuse rating)
- 115V (4A fuse rating)
- Connection: IEC inlet and detachable power cord
- Main Voltage:
- User controls
- Input level switch
- Speaker (left/right) switch
- LF and HF contours (potentiometers)
- Power ON/OFF switch, mains voltage selector
- Indicator: Power on LED
- Woofer: 2 x "W" cone, Focal 6W4370B 6.5" drive unit
- High frequency: Focal TB871 inverted Beryllium dome tweeter
- Shielding: Integral through concellation magnets or by magnet design
- Construction: 19mm MDF panels with internal braces
- Finish: Real wood red veneer on sides
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 250mm x 500mm x 340mm - (9.8" x 19.7"x 13.4")
- Weight: 14kg - (30.8lb)
Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor Includes
- 1 x Twin6 Be Studio Monitor
- 1 x IEC power cable
- 1 x User Guide / Owners Manual
- 1 x Warranty / guarantee card
- 1 x Protection grille for the Beryllium tweeter (you are advised to remove it before listening to the speakers)
- 1 x Plastic bag containing an information note Beryllium inverted dome tweeter, and some adhesive tape to affix on the tweeter in the unlikely event of the dome being damaged
Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor Downloads
- Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
What We Think
The Focal Twin6Be is arguably the monitor which made it all happen for Focal in the realm of professional audio. The quasi-D'Appolito design significantly increases low-frequency articulation and adding "height" to the audio imaging. Still, in many situations, the Solo6 Be is maybe better fitted to the average home/project studio control room / mixing environment. Where the Twin6 Be excels is in rooms where there is enough size to position the monitors vertically and to be back by about 6 to 9 feet, as they do seem work best as a mid-field... plus the extra distance gives all the drivers an opportunity to blend into a single source. Focal is famous for being very linear and being capable of high-dynamic range reproduction. The build quality is great, there are no unnecessary frills built-in, and they simply sound great. What more do you want?
Give us a call to help assemble a truly unobstructed high-resolution monitoring chain package! 888-228-4530
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I have two of these monsters that i will say are worth every penny. Coupled with my symphony system i hear any and everything. I will be purchasing a sub in the near future just for the bass heavy production that seems prominent these days, but even without i can still hear what's going on down there. These monitors are SNITCHES. They will tell you and everyone else who cares to listen if you've done something wrong. If your mixes sound good on these i'm 99.9% sure they'll sound good wherever you take them.