Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor
The Focal Solo6 Be is a two-way active loudspeaker (2 internal amplifier channels), comprising one W cone 6.5 low/mid unit, loaded with a large cross-section laminar port, and an inverted pure Beryllium dome.
The Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor will surprise you in the very first minutes you spend with it, partly due to its size/extended bass response (40Hz at -3dB)! The 6.5" composite sandwich mid-woofer combines neutrality in the midrange, fullness in the midbass register and bass control. Its compactness and the choice of a large front laminar port guarantee easy integration in studios that need a near field monitor without any acoustic compromise. The user settings on the back of the Solo6 Be, combined with its compactness, make it easy to carry and to adjust according to the acoustics of each studio.
Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
The inverted dome tweeter is a hallmark of Focal. As a result of more than twenty years of development into a tweeter that could produce a high output, but without requiring high energy input and without increasing directivity. The introduction of the pure Beryllium dome, capable of covering 5 full octaves from 1,000 to 40,000Hz constitutes a new decisive advance regarding new audio formats. This tweeter capacity to reproduce high frequencies with unmatched speed and transparency. At first the pure Beryllium tweeter was only available on the very high-end digital speakers of the Focal Professional lines (SM8 & SM11), but is now featured on the new SM6 series, allowing an unprecedented price/performance ratio.
The W cone
Focal has been developing the technologies of composite sandwich cones for more than 15 years. The "W" process (Glass/Foam/Glass), used on the SM11, SM8 and SM6 lines, provides - a true optimization of the frequency response by fine tuning of mass, rigidity and damping parameters. The balance between these 3 fundamental and often contradictory parameters is at the base of the outstanding sound neutrality of our speakers.
A custom designed amplification stage
Designing an amp to be integrated inside a speaker requires a very different set of rules than for a traditional amp. Speaker size and cooling concerns are often in contradiction with the high quality and high power requirements of a sonically transparent speaker.
Focal engineers used the BASH technology to develop the bass/medium amplification circuit for the SM6 professional line of speakers. This was the only way to exploit the best of class AB style circuits (for exceptional quality) with a class D type yield, which is crucial when housing a 150W RMS circuit in such a small space (300W RMS for the Twin 6 and 350W RMS for the Sub6). A pure class AB circuit is sufficient to power the -less energy demanding- high frequency tweeter, allowing for an extremely wide bandwidth and exceptional accuracy.
The Solo6 Be is designed for near field monitoring and should be placed at a distance between 1 and 3 metres from the listener, pointing towards the listening position. They can be sitting on the console top or placed on appropriate stands. In any way it is recommended that the tweeter is at a height from the floor approximately equivalent to that of the listeners ears. If required it can make sense to place the speakers upside down so that the previous rule is better fulfilled.
The Solo6 Be could be used vertically or horizontally depending on the environment.
Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor Features
- Rigid and durable MDF construction
- 6.5" "W" composite sandwich midwoofer and 1" Beryllium inverted dome tweeter provide full, neutral sound with a wide frequency response
- Front laminar bass port helps to extend bass response
- Each driver is powered by its own amplifier for a total of 250W of power for a strong, distortion-free performance
- Standard XLR input connector allows you to connect to virtually any professional sound system
- Independent level controls for both the woofer and the tweeter allow you to adjust them separately to create the best sonic results for your environment
- Magnetically shielded for safe use near video monitors and other electronic equipment
Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor Specifications
- Frequency response: 40Hz - 40kHz
- Maximum SPL: 113dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
- Electronic section
- Type / Impedance: Electronically balanced / 10 kOhms
- Connector: XLR
- Sensitivity: Adjustable, +4dBu or -10dBV
- Bass - Midrange: 150W rms, BASH® technology
- Treble: 100W rms, class AB
- Power supply
- Local supply:
- 230V (1.6A fuse rating)
- 115V (3.5A fuse rating)
- Connection: IEC inlet and detachable power cord
- Local supply:
- User controls and indicators:
- Input sensitivity selection switch
- Adjustable tweeter and woofer levels by potentiometers
- On/off switch, voltage selector
- Light indicator: Power On LED
- Woofer: 6W4370B, 61/2" (16.5cm) Focal W composite sandwich cone drivers
- High frequency: TB871, Focal Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
- Shielding: Integral through cancellation magnets / cans or by magnet design
- Construction: 71/2" (19mm) MDF panels
- Finish: Dark red natural veneering side panels, black body
- Dimensions (HxLxD): 13 x 97/16 x 117/16"(330mm x 240mm x 290mm)
- Weight: 24.2lb (11kg)
Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor Includes
- 1 x Solo6 Be Studio Monitor
- 1 x IEC power cable
- 1 x Warranty / guarantee card
- 1 x Protection grille for the Beryllium tweeter (you are advised to remove it before listening to the speakers)
- 1 x Plastic bag containing an information note Beryllium inverted dome tweeter, and some adhesive tape to affix on the tweeter in the unlikely event of the dome being damaged
Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor Downloads
- Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Focal Solo6 Be Studio Monitor Specification Sheet (PDF)
What We Think
The Focal Solo6 Be is a very solid and accurate studio monitor which conveys the true, extremely wide dynamic range of high resolution source material. As a result of the quality of sound and rather beautiful cabinet, driver, and tweeter footprint, the Solo6 Be is one of our favorite studio monitor recommendations. And for extending the low-frequency picture of the Solo6 Be monitors (adding more depth and height of the audio sound-stage), the Focal Sub6 offers a frequency response of 30Hz - 250Hz with a 116dB SPL (peak @ 1m) maximum sound pressure level(!).
Give us a call to help assemble a truly unobstructed high-resolution monitoring chain package! 888-228-4530
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review