API 5500 Equalizer
The API 5500 Equalizer is an evolution of the original 550 equalizer designed by Saul Walker, the founder of Automated Processes Inc, bringing the sound of that classic console EQ, with some improvements, to any studio, in a dual channel 1U rackmount format.
The API 5500 Equalizer was designed as a console equalizer, which uses an unbalanced input due to the architecture of the recording console. Because the ergonomics of a console dictate that the controls take up little space, sometimes the number of included functions can be limited. The 5500 is specifically designed to address these limitations; it has a balanced input, a true straight-wire bypass, an integrated power supply with noiseless muting and a range control that expands its versatility to mastering applications.
Typical of API products, the 5500 contains no integrated circuits in its signal path. The gain comes from two hand-built 2520 Operational Amplifiers in each channel. The balanced input is handled by a 2510 Discrete Operational Amplifier, which is similar to the 2520, but without the high-current output stage. A key component of the API sound, the 2520 coupled with the API 2503 output transformer, is capable of delivering +30dBm before clipping.
An extremely useful feature in the 5500 is the range control. The range of the amplitude controls can be reduced to 1/2 or 1/4 of their stated scale, providing a means to adjust the tonal balance with finer resolution in an even gentler manner. This is especially useful for complex program material as contained in stems or submixes and is ideally suited for mastering purposes.
API's 5500 also features a true hard-wire bypass which wires the output connector directly to the input. Shortly after the power is first applied, or immediately after it is lost, a special circuit enables "bypass mode" so that power thumps are never heard.
API 5500 Equalizer Features
- Classic 550b Equalizer design
- Two range switches to individually alter gain steps
- Usable as a 550b, 550D or 550M
- Peak/shelf switch on Hi and Lo bands
- True hardwire bypass
- Balanced In and Out on XLR
- Balanced input on 1/4"
- EQ In/Out switch
API 5500 Equalizer Specifications
- Input Impedance: > 100Kohm balanced
- Output Impedance: < 75 ohm floating
- Maximum output Level: > +28dBm with 600 ohm or greater load
- Frequency response: <+ 1dB from 10Hz to 30KHzDistortion< 0.1% @+20dBu from 100Hz to 20KHz
- Noise: < -70dBu unweighted
- Power Requirement 15 watts (130mA at 115v, 65mA at 230v)
- Power Consumption, Quiescent: 17.04 Watts
- Size: 19" X 1.75" (1U) X 11.25" Deep
- Size (Boxed for Shipping): 23.25" X 6.5" X 16"
- Actual Weight: 9.68 lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 13.51 lbs.
API 5500 Equalizer Includes
- 5500 Equalizer
- Power Cable
- One year factory service and Five year parts warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review