AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller
The AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller is a feature-rich wireless pad controller with Bluetooth MIDI functionality and battery-operated capability, especially designed for mobile musicians. Featuring 6 UI buttons and 8 assignable slim-design pots, the AKAI LPD8 delivers a truly versatile range of performance and control options.
The AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller is an extremely portable pad controller from Akai Professional. It's the perfect portable partner for musicians, producers, and DJs on the go. The AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller measures less than 13" across and weighs under a pound. Don't under estimate the mighty little AKAI LPD8, though. Based on Akai Professional's iconic MPC controllers, the AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller gives you eight amazingly playable, velocity-sensitive pads. It's even got eight knobs you can assign to virtually any Mac or PC software parameter. So get grooving, programming, sequencing, and creating wherever your go, with the Akai Professional LPD8.
Packed with 8 great-playing pads - based on the iconic MPC line
You won't find more music-making awesomeness in 13" than what the Akai Professional LPD8 offers up. This AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller weighs under a pound, but it's got eight pads for programming drums, entering melodic parts... whatever you want. The pads are based on Akai Professional's big-time MPC line, so you know they've got great feel and response. What's cool, too, is that not only are they velocity sensitive - they also have orange back lights that light up when you hit them, or when you play back a sequence. Sweet.
Get hands-on with 8 assignable knobs
So, on top of the eight pads, Akai Professional packed the LPD8 with eight assignable knobs, so you can get hands-on and tweak whatever effects/parameters you assign to them. The AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller is great for adjusting swing, reverb, filters, and more - all on the fly as you make/perform your tunes.
Four memory banks for programming and recalling settings
Because the AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller has four memory banks, you can create custom maps for four of your favorite software programs, then instantly switch between them.
Works with your Mac or PC - no drivers, no wall wart, just music
The Akai Professional LPD8 is all about on-the-go convenience. It works plug and play with your Mac or PC and doesn't require a driver installation or a bulky wall wart for you to get going. All you need is a your AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller and a USB cable to tap into your creativity.
AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller Features
- MIDI over Bluetooth to iOS, Mac OS X and Windows
- USB MIDI, works with virtually any music software or DAW
- 8 backlit velocity-sensitive drum pads to send note or program changes
- 8 assignable knobs for controlling virtually any parameter
- 4 programmable memory banks
- Editing software for Mac and PC included
- USB bus or battery powered (3 AA, not included)
- Plug-and-play USB connection for Mac and PC, no driver required
AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller Specifications
- Controls: (8) backlit pads, velocity-sensitive; 2 pad banks; full-level button, (8) 270° knobs
- Note Repeat:
- Time Divisions: 1/4-note, 1/4-note triplet, 1/8-note, 1/8-note triplet, 1/16-note, 1/16-note triplet, 1/32-note, or 1/32-note triplet
- Swing: 50%, 56%, 58%, 60%, 62%
- Tempo: 30240 BPM via Tap Tempo button (internal sync), Based on software tempo (external sync)
- Programs: 4 stored programs, configurable via free downloadable editor software
- Bluetooth: Profile Bluetooth Low Energy (LE), Range (Over 100 feet / 30.5 meters)
- Connections: (1) USB port
- Power: Via USB or (3) AA batteries
- Dimensions: 12.4" x 4.3" x 1.3"
- Weight: 1.0 lbs (0.45 kg)
AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller Requirements
- USB Connection
- Mac OS X 10.9 or later, iOS 8.0 or later and Camera Connection Kit (Sold Separately)
- Max OS X 10.10 or later with Bluetooth 4.0, iOS 9.0 or later with Bluetooth 4.0
- USB Connection Only
- Windows 7 or Later
AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller Includes
- USB A to B Cable
- User Guide
- Safety and Warranty Manual
AKAI LPD8 Laptop Pad Controller Downloads
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Got this last Summer, and it was awesome. I love the LED feedback. Knobs felt a little cheap, and we're hard to use due to size. If I had to, I would buy it again.
I bought the LPD8 because I travel a lot and wanted to have some MIDI devices that were small enough to fit in a carry on bag. This paired with the Akai LPK25 make for a fantastic pair.
The LPD8 is compact, yet effective as a simple pad input controller for any audio software. The included driver software is simple to use and allows for some basic customization for the user. The bank select option is fantastic for many purposes. And the pads are sturdy and responsive. The encoders on the right side of the device also provide extra flexibility and are great for controlling many parameters inside any modern audio software.
The only qualm I have with the device is that some of the pads seem to be slightly more, or less sensitive than others. However, given that this is a small device meant for portability, it's a small price to pay for the ability to work with my music anywhere I go.
If I lost, or broke this item I would certainly buy a new one to replace it.