AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package
Front End Audio's AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package ties together two of AEA's fantastically complimentary offerings together in a great sounding, cost-saving bundle.
The AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package brings the tone-shaping flexibility of the RPQ500 in at a lower point of entry for home/project studio users. And since the R84 is such a versatile microphone, this bundle represents a total-package that is perfect for someone looking for one microphone that will work to record many different sources. This package contains what we like to call "gear for life" - you're getting a set of indispensable studio tools that you'll treasure for years to come.
AEA R84 Ribbon Microphone
The R84 is a passive ribbon microphone that shares the same Big Ribbon, tuning, and transformer as the R44 series. Using everything Wes Dooley and the team at AEA had learned by recreating the RCA 44, they went back to the drawing board to create something completely new. The R84 has a classic look and milder proximity effect than the R44. Easy to use and affordable, the R84 was designed to be flexible and practical in a myriad of recording settings.
AEA RPQ 500 Ribbon Mic Pre / EQ
The RPQ500 module, designed after the successful RPQ preamp, provides the same ultra-clean, high-gain signal path that has earned AEA preamps their great reputation, but in a 500 series package. JFET circuit topology provides all the dynamics, subwoofer bass, and fast transients that your microphones can record. The NoLoad input impedance above 10 kΩ means the RPQ wont load down a mic and change its sound. The RPQs CurveShaper EQ gives you the tools to control your ribbons right at the start of the signal path. The Line/Mic switch bypasses the microphone gain stage and allows the EQ to be used for tracking with other preamps or during mixdown. Add the output level control, and the RPQ500 becomes a high-quality processing tool that can be used for mixing and mastering when combined with summing racks and mixers.
Fredenstein Bento 2 500-Series Power Supply Rack
The Fredenstein Bento 2 is a high performance two module carrier for API-500 compatible plug-in cards or Fredenstein Series 600 modules or API-500 compatible plug-in cards. The unit can accept a maximum of 2 modules. The Bento 2 features several important upgrades compared with third party products:
- Universal power supply: Mains voltages range from 90V AC to 240V AC, 50 to 60 Hz.
- Increased output currents: +/-16V DC 0.9A and +48V DC 0.033A
- Additional I/O: TRS inputs and outputs, parallel to the XLR connectors.
- Slot 1 can be daisy-chained to slot 2 by simply flipping a switch on the back-panel.
- Compressor buss linking: Compressor modules can be linked by engaging a switch on the back-panel as well.
- Secondary power-switch and voltage indicators are on the front-panel.
AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package Features
- A complete turnkey solution for the incredible ribbon microphone sound that only AEA can deliver
- An expandable 2 space 500-series PSU allows for you to start now with one mic and one module, and eventually add a second R84 and RPQ... or just mix it up. Whatever you want!
AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package Specifications
- AEA R84 Specifications
- Operating Principle: Velocity microphone
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165 + dB SPL above 1 kHz for 1% third harmonic
- Output Sensitivity: -52 dBv/Pa
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 3 m captive cable
- Off Axis Response:
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Transducer element:
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 4.7 mm
- Ribbon Length: 59.7 mm
- Included: Custom storage / shipping case, manual
- Any length cable, inquire for price and delivery
- Custom laser engraving with your art or logo
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labor, shipping not included.
- AEA RPQ500 Specifications
- 81 dB of gain at 1kHz, balanced-in to balanced-out in Microphone Input Mode
- Noise figure, rms A-weighted: < 2 dB
- Noise figure, rms unweighted: < 3 dB, 20 kHz LPF bandwidth
- EIN < -130 dBu A-weighted, 150 Ohm resistive source
- Frequency response: -3dB < 1Hz and > 100 kHz
- THD: < 0.02% at 1 kHz
- Balanced Microphone Input Impedance: 10k Ohms
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 33k Ohms
- Input Gain control: twelve-position switch provides from +7 dB to +56 dB of gain for the preamplifier circuit, as measured between the input and the before the output line driver.
- Output Gain control: continuously variable from -64 dB to + 19 dB of additional output gain, following the CurveShaper circuitry
- Switched LF Shelving filter: -3 dB break-frequency tunable from 18 Hz to 360 Hz; maximum reduction -20 dB
- Switched CurveShaper EQ: +3dB break-frequency tunable from 2.1 kHz to 26 kHz; HF gain adjustable from +0 dB to +18 dB; the slope of the HF filter varies interactively and directly with the CurveShaper frequency and gain settings
- XLR output maximum level into 600 Ohm load: +28 dBu, balanced; 0 dBu = 0.7746 V rms
- XLR connectors polarity: pin-1 is ground, pin-2 is high, pin-3 is low
- LED signal level indicators: green snaps on at -6 dBu, red snaps on at +23 dBu, and yellow varies in
- brightness with level from -3 dBu to +20 dBu.
- Zinc-plated steel chassis with 0.125 anodized aluminum front panel (measured without knobs and switches): 1.488 w, 6.033 d, 5.247 h (3.78 cm x 15.32 cm x 13.32 cm)
- Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
- Laser engraved front panel markings
- Grayhill series 71 stepped gain switch
- Fredenstein Bento 2 Rack Specifications
- Input Voltage: 90V AC to 240V AC, 50 to 60 Hz
- Output Voltages:
- +16V DC 0.9A
- -16V DC 0.9A
- +48V DC 0.033A
- Power Consumption: max 35W
- Dimension (LxHxD): 480mm x 50mm x 190mm / 19 in x 2 in x 7.5 in
- Weight: 2.0kg(NW)
AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package Includes
- AEA R84 Ribbon Microphone
- AEA RPQ500 500-Series Ribbon Microphone Preamplifier w/ Tone Shaping Equalizer
- Fredenstein Bento 2 500-Series Power Supply Rack (2-slot)
- Mogami Gold Studio Microphone Cable (15 Foot)
AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package Downloads
- AEA R84 User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- AEA R84 Technical Onesheet (PDF)
- AEA RPQ500 User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Fredenstein Bento 2 User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
What We Think
The AEA R84 / RPQ500 Package from Front End Audio was created with the expressed purpose of maximizing one's sonic potential with the AEA ribbon microphone system. It's no secret that ribbon microphones sound great! But it's also no great secret that they sometimes have special care & feeding requirements when it comes to gain and impedance. So, the preamp relationship becomes paramount! AEA has offered the TRP as a lower-cost 2-channel option, but with the release of the RPQ500, we had the idea to make a bundle which includes the 500-series power supply for free. Now with the emergence of the Fredenstein Bento 2, we've updated the bundle to include this power supply. The good news is that, not only is Fredenstein making a very reliable and well built set of tools, but the 2nd slot allows for this bundle to be expanded with the addition of another RPQ500 or any other 500-series module your heart desires. So, it's like slowly building your very own RPQ and your pace. Many of our customers have loved the option of purchasing this system at the savings that it offers. We invite you to discover the awesome power of a fully operational Ribbon Microphone System from AEA as assembled from us here at Front End Audio.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I initially had trouble installing the RPQ in the 500 series power supply. Sent an email, and received a prompt solution. Love the way it sounds now.