AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package
The AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Active Ribbon Microphone & Preamp Package from Front End Audio includes the AEA N22 NUVO Active Ribbon Microphone, AEA RPQ500 500-Series Microphone Preamp, and the Fredenstein Bento 2 500-series power supply rack together in a convenient, expandable, and purpose built bundle designed to make your ribbon microphones sound their best.
The AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package brings the tone-shaping flexibility of the RPQ500 in at a lower point of entry for home/project studio users. AEA's N22 NUVO delivers a "perfect" sound out of the box which immediately delivers the tone many first-time ribbon mic owners are hoping the mic will deliver. The sound is much more rich than a condenser microphone, but doesn't miss any of the high-frequency that will normally roll off naturally in other ribbons. This package contains what we like to call "gear for life" - you're getting a set of indispensable studio tools that you'll treasure for years to come.
AEA N22 NUVO Active Ribbon Microphone
The AEA N22 was designed with the singer-songwriter musician in mind. Hard working artists, honing their musical craft for many years, feel strongly about their personal tone, so they need a microphone that translates their signature sound in a recording. Whether you are a musician, home studio owner, or experienced producer/engineer, you will find that the N22 provides a great ribbon tone without the need for EQ in most applications. Most importantly, the N22 was designed by listening first, and measuring only after experienced musicians told us the microphone sounded great. Bridging the gap between vintage and modern, ribbon and condenser, studio and live, the N22 is the perfect companion for musicians and engineers alike.
AEA RPQ 500 Ribbon Mic Pre / EQ
The RPQ500 module, designed after the successful RPQ preamp, provides the same ultra-clean, high-gain signal path that has earned AEA preamps their great reputation, but in a 500 series package. JFET circuit topology provides all the dynamics, subwoofer bass, and fast transients that your microphones can record. The NoLoad input impedance above 10 kΩ means the RPQ wont load down a mic and change its sound. The RPQs CurveShaper EQ gives you the tools to control your ribbons right at the start of the signal path. The Line/Mic switch bypasses the microphone gain stage and allows the EQ to be used for tracking with other preamps or during mixdown. Add the output level control, and the RPQ500 becomes a high-quality processing tool that can be used for mixing and mastering when combined with summing racks and mixers.
Fredenstein Bento 2 500-Series Power Supply Rack
The Fredenstein Bento 2 is a high performance two module carrier for API-500 compatible plug-in cards or Fredenstein Series 600 modules or API-500 compatible plug-in cards. The unit can accept a maximum of 2 modules. The Bento 2 features several important upgrades compared with third party products:
- Universal power supply: Mains voltages range from 90V AC to 240V AC, 50 to 60 Hz.
- Increased output currents: +/-16V DC 0.9A and +48V DC 0.033A
- Additional I/O: TRS inputs and outputs, parallel to the XLR connectors.
- Slot 1 can be daisy-chained to slot 2 by simply flipping a switch on the back-panel.
- Compressor buss linking: Compressor modules can be linked by engaging a switch on the back-panel as well.
- Secondary power-switch and voltage indicators are on the front-panel.
AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package Features
- A complete turnkey solution for the incredible ribbon microphone sound that only AEA can deliver
- An expandable 2 space 500-series PSU allows for you to start now with one mic and one module, and eventually add a second N22 NUVO and RPQ500... or just mix it up. Whatever you want!
AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package Specifications
- AEA N22 NUVO Specifications
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional or Figure-of-8
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 141 dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 6.2 mV/Pa (-33.5 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 92 Ω broadband
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.0 kΩ or greater
- Powering: P48 phantom power, 7 mA
- Polarity: Pin 2 high for positive pressure at the front of the microphone.
- Connector: XLR-3M
- Off Axis Response:
- Polar Pattern:
- Native bidirectional pattern:
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Transducer element:
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.185 (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35 (59.7 mm)
- Storage / shipping case
- Microphone stand clip
- Custom protective mic sleeve
- User manual
- Optional: Matched stereo pair, NUVO Windscreen, NUVO Stereo Kit
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labor, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
- Weight with Cable: 1 lb 13 oz (810 g)
- Weight with case: 12 oz (335 g)
- Height: 8.83 (32.4 cm)
- Width: 1.62 (4.1 cm)
- Depth: 1.62 (4.1 cm)
- AEA RPQ500 Specifications
- 81 dB of gain at 1kHz, balanced-in to balanced-out in Microphone Input Mode
- Noise figure, rms A-weighted: < 2 dB
- Noise figure, rms unweighted: < 3 dB, 20 kHz LPF bandwidth
- EIN < -130 dBu A-weighted, 150 Ohm resistive source
- Frequency response: -3dB < 1Hz and > 100 kHz
- THD: < 0.02% at 1 kHz
- Balanced Microphone Input Impedance: 10k Ohms
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 33k Ohms
- Input Gain control: twelve-position switch provides from +7 dB to +56 dB of gain for the preamplifier circuit, as measured between the input and the before the output line driver.
- Output Gain control: continuously variable from -64 dB to + 19 dB of additional output gain, following the CurveShaper circuitry
- Switched LF Shelving filter: -3 dB break-frequency tunable from 18 Hz to 360 Hz; maximum reduction -20 dB
- Switched CurveShaper EQ: +3dB break-frequency tunable from 2.1 kHz to 26 kHz; HF gain adjustable from +0 dB to +18 dB; the slope of the HF filter varies interactively and directly with the CurveShaper frequency and gain settings
- XLR output maximum level into 600 Ohm load: +28 dBu, balanced; 0 dBu = 0.7746 V rms
- XLR connectors polarity: pin-1 is ground, pin-2 is high, pin-3 is low
- LED signal level indicators: green snaps on at -6 dBu, red snaps on at +23 dBu, and yellow varies in
- brightness with level from -3 dBu to +20 dBu.
- Zinc-plated steel chassis with 0.125 anodized aluminum front panel (measured without knobs and switches): 1.488 w, 6.033 d, 5.247 h (3.78 cm x 15.32 cm x 13.32 cm)
- Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
- Laser engraved front panel markings
- Grayhill series 71 stepped gain switch
- Fredenstein Bento 2 Rack Specifications
- Input Voltage: 90V AC to 240V AC, 50 to 60 Hz
- Output Voltages:
- +16V DC 0.9A
- -16V DC 0.9A
- +48V DC 0.033A
- Power Consumption: max 35W
- Dimension (LxHxD): 480mm x 50mm x 190mm / 19 in x 2 in x 7.5 in
- Weight: 2.0kg(NW)
AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package Includes
- 1 x AEA N22 NUVO Active Ribbon Microphone
- 1 x AEA RPQ500 500-Series Ribbon Microphone Preamplifier w/ Tone Shaping Equalizer
- 1 x Fredenstein Bento 2 500-Series Power Supply Rack (2-slot)
- 1 x Mogami Gold Studio Microphone Cable (15 Foot)
AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package Downloads
- AEA N22 NUVO User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- AEA N22 NUVO Technical Onesheet (PDF)
- AEA RPQ500 User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
What We Think
The AEA N22 NUVO / RPQ500 Package from Front End Audio was created with the expressed purpose of maximizing one's sonic potential with the AEA ribbon microphone system. It's no secret that ribbon microphones sound great! But it's also no great secret that they sometimes have special care & feeding requirements when it comes to gain and impedance. So, the preamp relationship becomes paramount! AEA's RPQ500 with it's CurveShaper EQ circuit gave the idea to make a bundle, which would include the 500-series power supply for free! Now with the emergence of the Fredenstein Bento 2, we've updated the bundle from a single space PSU to include this 2-slot power supply. The good news is that, not only is Fredenstein making a very reliable and well built set of tools, but the 2nd slot allows for this bundle to be expanded with the addition of another RPQ500 or any other 500-series module your heart desires. So, it's like slowly building your very own RPQ and your pace. Many of our customers have loved the option of purchasing this system at the savings that it offers. We invite you to discover the awesome power of a fully operational Ribbon Microphone System from AEA as assembled from us here at Front End Audio.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review