ADK Z-Mod (Custom Shop) - Silver Edition
ADK Z-Mod (Custom Shop) - Silver Edition is a totally customized product can be custom-built 'One-Off' for each client based on one's preference for Historical & Vintage characteristics. The Silver Edition package includes Premium Accessories, like Accusound SILVER Cabling, additional valves from Mullard, JJ Tesla, and Tung-Sol, and a premium tweed briefcase. Over $1000 of additional accessories for just a little bit more than the Copper Edition.
The ADK Z-Mod (Custom Shop) - Silver Edition is ADK's top-of-the-line valve microphone and accessories package. The Z-Mod takes ADK's already-great sounding CS Custom valve microphone (now discontinued) and adds an upgraded chrome grille, power-coat chassis, a selection of additional valves from Mullard, JJ Tesla, and Tung-Sol, and upgrades the cabling to include 1 AccuSound HD-7 Tube Mic XLR Cable and 1 Silver Studio-Pro XLR (The silver cabling alone, a $600 value! You can't get these commercially anymore!).
The ADK Z-Mod Tube Microphones are Class A (Discrete) 9 Polar-Pattern Tube (Valve) Condenser Microphones hand-built as "One-Offs" using a custom Belgium-Designed PC Board built with Hi-Fi methods and materials, using a "No-Corners-Cut" approach. Features German Hand-Selected Valve, Top-of-the-Line Components (like a USA Jensen Transformer) with Australian-Designed GK capsules from the Custom Shop "Capsule-Bank". Based on ADK's Area 51 TT chassis, this is a totally Customized Product can be custom-built "One-Off" for each client based on one's preference for Historical, Vintage Curves -Microphone Response Characteristics. So, if you want a specific color for your capsule choice, then we can do that!
Nobody knows ADK Custom Shop microphones like we here at Front End Audio do. Call us at 888-228-4530 to configure your custom, today.
Choose Your Capsule:
- ADK Custom Shop "Crème de la Crème" Z-Mod-47: The Z-Mod-47 has Mellow, yet, Historically "Later" Microphone Response Curve. Smooth but with Attitude. More natural, but with less pushed presence and more open top. Rich lows that remain tight.
- ADK Custom Shop "Top Banana" Z-Mod-251: The Z-Mod-251 has a silky, ambient 'air-band' boost, similar to a famous Vintage Austrian Tube Microphone.
- ADK Custom Shop "Ruby Lips" Z-Mod-12: The Z-Mod-12 is the Most Brilliant of all ADK Z-Mod-Series Custom Valve Microphones. Almost Effervescent High-End.
- ADK Custom Shop "Blue Suede" Z-Mod-67: The Z-Mod-67 has the early 60's vibe. Almost imperceptibly Mellow. Scoops nasal, sibilance issues in a subtle way. More presence than the 47, but less top-end.
- ADK Custom Shop "Black Beauty" Z-Mod-49: The ADK Custom Shop Z-Mod-49 is more of a vintage 50's vibe taken from the "7" capsule. Very smooth, almost dark top with a full mid and round bottom. Great for vocal, strings, and trumpet. Seriously, if you've ever felt like every other tube microphone is still too bright for you on top, but you like the responsiveness of a tube powered condenser capsule, then THIS is the choice for you!
Choose Your Transformer:
- Jensen USA Transformer: The Jensen adds a bit of a "smiley face" character to the response of the microphone. Translated, that means a lifted top and bottom. It's like having a built in sweetening curve on top of the capsule's response. An excellent pairing with the Z-Mod-251.
- Lundahl Transformer: Lundahl transformers are known for their flat-frequency-response. So, nothing is hyped here. This is a great choice with the Z-Mod-67 variant (makes the Z-Mod-67-L). The Lundahl keeps the top smooth and the perception of the mid-range is that it is increased. The lows stay well behaved - not bloomy. But certainly not a boring choice of transformer! The music is in the mid-range.
- Sowter Transformer: There is just something "magical" that happens with the Sowter when you choose it to go in the Z-Mod-12 or in the Z-Mod-47. The mid-range comes alive in a special fashion.
ADK Z-Mod (Custom Shop) - Silver Edition Features
- 3 Additional Valves (including different dual-triode models from Mullard, Tungsol, and JJ Tesla)
- Top-of-the-Line Components (such as your choice of these 3 premium mic transformers: USA Jensen, Lundahl, or Sowter)
- Australian-Designed GK capsules from the Custom Shop "Capsule-Bank"
- Chrome Grille
- Power-Coat Chassis
- Special Power Supply Design
- 1 x AccuSound HD-7 Tube Mic XLR Cable
- 1 x Silver Studio-Pro 3-Pin XLR Microphone Cable
ADK Z-Mod (Custom Shop) - Silver Edition Includes
- Premium Tweed Briefcase
- Wooden Velvet Lined Microphone Case
- Elastic Shock Mount
- Low-Profile Ring Mount (Hard-mount)
- Foam Windscreen
- Pop Filter (w/ gooseneck)
- Power Supply w/ 9 Polar Patterns
- 15' Accusound Silver Studio Pro 7-Pin Tube Microphone Cable: The ACC-HD-7 is a silver-plated 7-Pin cable for tube microphones (A $179.99 Value!)
- 10' Accusound Silver Studio Pro 3-Pin: The ACC-MC Silver-plated XLR Microphone Cable (An $89.99 Value!)
What Professionals Are Saying...
"Classic styling, Classic Sound! Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the ADK Z-251 and a vintage Telefunken ELA-M251."
Chuck Ainlay - Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, Vince Gill, Wynonna, Trisha Yearwood, George Strait, Marty Stuart, Melissa Etheridge and a TON of other world-class artists
"This is one of the very finest microphones I have ever purchased, period. Classically identifiable sound quality, amazingly well made, astonishingly Quiet and customer service second to none. I will be buying more of these microphones!"
Bernie Becker - Legendary Engineer - Frank Sinatra, Neal Diamond, Tupac
"All through my career I have been looking for a "good" U-67. Now the search is over with the ADK Z-67. It is a perfect microphone for critical vocals and female voices and compare very favorably to any U-67 I have heard. It also shines on acoustic guitars and anything that needs an open top end without over pronounced upper midrange. I love the ADK Z-67!"
Michael Wagener - Legendary Engineer - Mötley Crüe, Metallica, Megadeth, Dokken
"First thing I noticed I noticed was the significantly lower self-noise of the Z-67 [vs. favorite U67]. On pick-strummed guitar, however, the Z-67's presence bump highlighted the plectrum-on-string detail that I was looking for. On JT's voice this mic was just stunning. It complimented his true tone with a clarity that I've been searching for. It was head and shoulders above the U-67. . . ."
Ryan Hewitt - ADK Z-67 Review in Tape-Op Review Issue #100 - Recording / Mixing Engineer - Avett Brothers, The Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Brandi Carlile, Jamie Cullum, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, blink-182, Flogging Molly, The Alkaline Trio, Three Days Grace, We Are Scientists, Tom Petty, and John Frusciante
"The words that instantly come to mind with the Z-67 are rich, weighted and dimensional. Overall on her voice it offered a very real, you-are-here sound that had a natural weight along with a nice sparkly high end-sparkly as in exciting and not harsh or bright. I also fell in love with the Z-67 on a number of acoustic guitars, especially on 12-string where it was full and detailed, scooping out a touch of the boxy mids. The Z-67 offers a very classy rich sound - very 3D with the perfect hint of vintage vibe."
Paul Vnuk, Jr - Z-67 Review in May 2014 Issue of Recording Magazine
What We Think
The ADK Custom Shop Z-Mod family of valve microphones have really changed my life in the studio. Really, this goes for all of the ADK Custom Shop mics. But the Z-Mods really stand out and represent an incredible value to someone looking to get 'the sound' right away without having to resort to a massive signal chain - though the Z-Mods play very well with EQ and Compression.
I'll give you my accounts of experience with these microphones that turned my head around exorcist style when I first heard them... I'm no Chuck Ainlay, but I've had the good fortune to have used more microphones than most people will ever lay eyes on; even many more microphones than many others in my field. So, maybe I've got something valuable to add here.
So, a little background will help... My own experience with microphones began with vintage U 47s, U 67 (and M 269 - the German Broadcast Version of the U 67), SM2, C12, C24, M49, ELA M251 and so forth when working in a world-class studio in New York City several years back. Perhaps the most significant comparison that I can make to the majority of new valve microphones is that there really is something wonderful about the top end of the original microphones. I don't necessarily attribute it wholesale to the age of the components, the amount of nicotine and spit on the capsule diaphragms, etc., though this certainly can play into specific comparisons of,say, one U 67 to another U 67. But the one consistent thing is that they all had a smooth and incredibly musical top-end. Even the brightest of these, the C12 and the ELA M251 were still smooth and musical. They really just had a beautiful depth and grace in handling the energy being dealt to them.
Disappointment has been a regular thing for me when trying out many of the newer microphones that get lots of hype, glowing reviews, etc. But when Larry sent me a CS-67-L (this was before he had released the Z-Mod 67 'Blue Suede') to audition, I was floored. There was the musicality and the smooth top end I'd been missing all this time! Understandably, Larry and ADK's Custom Shop caught my attention, and caught it good.
Regularly, we'll have a customer want to purchase 5 or so microphones to shoot out in their own studio with the idea of keeping one or maybe two of them. So, they get a wide range of mics within the same voicing and maybe a couple that have had lots of press and ads with other famous engineers raving about them (you've gotta see what the hype is about, right?). And the results have become so regular that they really have stopped surprising us... the ADK Custom Shop mic ends up being the one that stays. And we're talking about beating out mics that are costing many thousands of dollars more. It's true that some will have more bling, or look almost indistinguishable from a well maintained "closet classic" mic from the 1950s. But the way that the ADK Z-Mods present the sound you give them is the 'proof in the pudding." Honestly, who really cares what a microphone looks like? The truth is, if the sound is there, then it's the right mic. And the Z-Mods prove time and time again to be the choice of discriminating ears. But, I will say that the powder-coat finish and chrome work make for a heavy duty and handsome microphone.
The Z-Mod, while not trying to be an exact clone of a 'vintage' microphone, is more about being a balanced and musically-magical microphone. The customizable options and the jewel-box of premium-quality valves allow the end user / engineer the freedom to really get in there and get the response they're after right at the microphone.
I've been in love with the Z-Mod 67 Blue Suede for quite some time now. In customer-shootouts, it's been the clear winner more often than not. But occasionally, a vocalist comes along who has a voice where and unflattering element may be suddenly showcased by the presence bump of the GK67 capsule. In that case, the more mid-neutral and more lower-mid-rich Z-Mod 47-S Crème de la Crème is often the perfect solution.
For those after a super-rich, almost "chocolatey" velvet sound, the Z-49 really splits the difference between the best ribbon-motor design and best valve circuit; but with the responsiveness and output of a tube-condenser.
Still at the other end of the spectrum, the "Austrian" voices of the Z-251 and Z-12 evoke the air and bite (respectively) desired for many styles of music where the sonic space of the vocal needs to be huge or aggressively forward (again, respectively to the aforementioned models). And as of 2016, the latest spin on this general camp is the NEW Z-800, which really focuses on the sheen of "breath as character" sound of the modern-classic Japanese design.
Regardless of whatever voice / instrumentation that you are working with, we are able to arrive at the correct Z-MOD for your specific applications, pretty quickly.
So, if you've been looking for a world-class studio microphone exhibiting exceptional performance against some of the most legendary, the most sought after microphones (as well as some of the most hyped) available, the ADK Custom Shop Z-Mod is proving to be THE choice of the audiophile engineer / musician. The secret is getting out!"
Alan Moon - Front End Audio
CALL 888-228-4530 ext 106 TO CONFIGURE YOUR ADK Custom Shop Z-MOD
Click here to view all ADK products