Vintech X73 Microphone Preamp Equalizer
The Vintech X73 is a class A, all discrete, transformer balanced microphone preamplifier with equalizer. It is built with the same circuit design and components as the classic Neve 1073 module.
Vintech X73 Microphone Preamp Equalizer Details
The Vintech X73 is a class A, all discrete, transformer balanced microphone preamplifier with equalizer. It is built with the same circuit design and components as the classic Neve 1073 module. By creating a custom wound set of input and output transformers, the Vintech X73 measures within tolerances that would be very acceptable to be considered "identical" to vintage Neve 1073 modules as measured through Rohde & Schwarz precision audio measurement equipment. If you're after perhaps the best, most faithful sounding recreation of the Class-A Neve 1073's magic, then look no further than the Vintech X73.
Vintech X73 Microphone Preamp Equalizer Features
- Faithful attention to circuit and custom components guarantees most accurate match to vintage modules
- 16-gauge 1 Rack Space Steel Chassis makes for more convenient and cost effective integration into studios
- Tantalum Capacitors for authentic sound of classic modules
- All available settings faithfully, but more conveniently implemented (impedance switch, phantom power, etc) than on "original" style modules.
- You won't be able to tell the sonic difference between a 1073 and an X73. The Vintechs are that good!
Vintech X73 Microphone Preamp Equalizer Specifications
- Microphone Gain of +70dB to +20dB in 5dB steps
- Switchable microphone input impedance between 300 and 1,200 ohms
- Line Impedance of 10kOhm
- Line Input Gain of +20dB to -10dB in 5dB steps
- Both Inputs are Transformer Balanced
- Switch for +48-Volt phantom power
- 1/4" D.I. on the front panel
- Polarity / Phase switch
- Input Level Control (a portion of the range is dedicated to MIC and the other to LINE)
- Class-A output amplifier that utilizing authentic 2N3055 NPN transistor.
- Custom-wound output transformer - most closely matches vintage Neve 1073 performance and sound
- Hand-wired Elma rotary input gain selector switch
- Clarostat output level control
- Output Level LED display ranges from -6 dB to +18 dB
- Output impedance of 75 Ohms @ 1kHz
- Maximum Output of +26dBu into 600 Ohms
- 3-Band EQ with High Frequency (fixed @ 12kHz) and selectable Low Frequency Shelving, Mid-Freq Bell-Curve
- Hi-Pass Filtering
- Switch for engaging EQ in/out of circuit
- Faithful and accurate equalizer frequencies
- Authentic Electroswitch dual-concentric switch/pots for equalizer
- Gold contacts throughout
- Balanced Neutrik XLR input and output
- 1/4" D.I. on the front panel
- 1/4" TRS balanced line input
- XLR Output is Transformer Balanced and Earth Free
- 1/4" Output is Transformerless and Unbalanced
- 16-gauge, 1 RU, All-steel Chassis
- Power LED
- Requires Vintech X73 Power Supply - One supply can power up to 4 Vintech units
- Other Specifications
- Frequency Response:
- +/- 0.5dB, 20Hz to 20kHz
- -30dB @ 40kHz with EQ Out
- Noise: No more than -83dBu at all line gain settings
- EIN is better than -125@ 60dB gain
- Distortion is no bore than 0.07% from 50Hz to 10kHz at +20dBu output into 600 Ohms
The Vintech X73 requires the Vintech X73 Power Supply Unit in order to operate. However, one of these power supplies will power up to FOUR Vintech units. By using a separate remote power supply, Vintech units maintain an extremely low noise specification.
What The Pros Are Saying...
"I used the Vintech X73 exclusively on Rusty Anderson's electric guitar tracks for both the stereo and 5.1 mixes of Paul McCartney's forthcoming live album and DVD."
Michael Brauer, Engineer Has worked with: The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson
"The Vintech Audio X73 is a 'must have' piece of analog gear, but be careful, we immediately realized we wanted two!
The production team of Ron and Howard Albert (Eric Clapton, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Rolling Stones)
"Sounds like our vintage Neve modules. We love it and plan to buy several units for our facility!
Jay Baumgardner, owner of NRG studios Papa Roach, Alien Antfarm, Drowning Pool
"I love the way these units sound. The construction is rock solid. The mic pre is open and transparant and the additonal EQ frequencies are musical and right where you'd want them.Musical and very well thought out. Terrific!
Kyle Lehning, Producer for Randy Travis, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Brian White and former president of Asylum Records in Nashville
"The X73 is great! It sounds as good as the original, plus it has extra bands and is trouble free. I can't wait to use more Vintech products. Keep up the good work.
Bobby Bradley, Bradley's Barn Nashville
"I want to let you know how much I like the X73. I use it for recording Patti Scialfa and Bruce Springsteen in their home studio. I've found it a great unit for warming up vocals and other instruments. Please let me know if you develop any further equipment of this type.
Toby Scott, engineer for Bruce Springsteen
What We Think - Vintech X73 Review
"I got to know the Vintech X73 in early 2001 when a local Vintech rep brought a unit to Clinton Recording Studios for Eddie Kramer to evaluate the morning we began the stereo mixes for the Jimi Hendrix Experience 'Jimi Plays Berkeley' CD and DVD. Eddie wanted to hear the equalizer and so I patched the guitar to feed from the 8-track machine (we used the original 1-inch Scotch tapes) into both a channel on the Neve 8078 (31105 module) and into the Vintech X73. Despite the different Class A (Vintech) and Class AB (Neve 31105) topologies and differing equalizers, when set to similar frequencies and levels, they were still spot on; you couldn't tell the difference between the two. In fact, Jimi's guitar stayed patched through the X73 for the remainder of the album. So, that's what you're hearing.
"I've had the pleasure of using the various Vintech units throughout the years and have always been pleased with the results. Coming from a tech background, I can certify that Vintech has done a fantastic job of bringing accurate Class-A Neve sound to us in a fashion far more convenient and cost-effective than the "spot-on" recreations... Though the Vintechs are certainly lookers, the beauty can be found inside, and in your ear-holes, thusly. If you've ever wanted bombastic drum tracks with beautiful, rich lows and nice smooth top-end, then Vintech's offerings are going to be your friend. Vocalists and their producers have always loved the 1073 for that rich lower-mid and smooth high-frequency treatment. Vintech has certainly captured this along with the transformer-sound characteristic of the Neve. The X73 and Vintech's variants (the X73i, 273, and 473) should be high on your list for building your dream studio."
Alan Moon - Front End Audio
Vintech Users Include...
- Sony Music Nashville
- Peter Frampton
- David Foster
- John Mayer
- Greg Morgenstein: Engineer for Moulin Rouge, Master P, Nicole Kidman
- Jim Gaines: Engineer for Carlos Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughn
- Dan Shea: Producer for Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
- Eddie Kramer: Producer/Engineer for Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Peter Frampton, and many others...
- Gary Paczosa: Dixie Chicks, Alison Krauss & Union Station
- Green Day... and many, many more...
Legacy Studios Vintech Vs. Neve Listening Tests
In each of the following listening tests you will hear four playbacks of a musical performance clip. Three of the clips were recorded with vintage Neve 1073 modules and one of the clips was recorded with a Vintech X73 preamp. In each case one mic was passively split to all four preamps so that each preamp could amplify the same exact performance utilizing the same exact microphone. The only variable is the preamps.
Please take this listening test and then at the bottom of the page you will find a link to a page that provides all of the answers to the test.
Click here to view all Vintech products