TC Electronic BMC-2
The TC Electronic BMC-2 High Definition DAC and Monitor Controller is a dedicated digital-to-analog converter and high-quality 'hands-on' monitor control that's an ideal solution, no matter how your audio production or monitoring setup is based - be it digital or analog.
We realize that predictable, ultra-low-latency speaker and headphone control is an important part of your production process, and with BMC-2 such luxury is always available to you - regardless of the state of the computer at the heart of your system.
No Computer Needed
This handy self-contained desktop unit can be operated without a Mac or PC, offering you instant and practical control of sound levels. As well as controlling the listening level, BMC-2 allows you to switch between three digital input sources - S/PDIF, AES3, TOS and ADAT, and confirm if those inputs are synchronous or not.
BMC-2 drives one set of analog speakers, one set of digital speakers and a set of headphones. Calibrated listening is available with both sets of speakers and the headphone output.
But it's not all about DAC and level control - BMC-2 also puts user-definable reference levels at your fingertips. You simply hit the REF button on the front panel and BMC-2 will attenuate the output to a user-defined sound pressure level, so reference level monitoring is always just a single button-press away.
BMC-2 precision re-clocks all inputs, and features high performance jitter rejection based on patented JET technology that was originally developed for our flagship System 6000. All the benefits of optical interfacing without the problems - asymmetries are corrected and jitter is completely removed from the equation.
iCheck Your Source
Analog output offers wide dynamic range on XLR connectors. Peak level metering and Integrity Check - or 'iCheck' - is also available on the selected input. iCheck reveals if the signal is spatially compromised, e.g. because of data reduction, such as MP3 or AAC encoded at too low a bit rate.
BMC-2 is a self-contained desktop unit that works right out of the box with no need for a computer for setup. It interfaces directly with all new Macs and most PCs used for audio production - just attach the supplied 12V DC power adaptor.
BMC-2 Clock & Jitter Rejection
A digital audio signal relies on only two components: level and time. We all know about levels (bits) – but timing is equally important to avoid noise and distortion.
Jitter is unwanted variation of a digital audio signal’s timing. It is typically recognized by compromised dynamic range of AD, DA and sample rate converters; or by clicks and dropouts due to interface breakdown.
A steady digital clock is crucial to the sound quality, especially when one of the above conversions is performed.
The clock stability and jitter rejection of BMC-2 is based on technology from TC System 6000, providing a performance strikingly better than equipment many times the price of BMC-2.
The excellent jitter-rejection of BMC-2 is also capable of cleaning up a less-than-perfect digital signal from an external source, thereby tidying up your entire studio timing and optimizing performance.
BMC-2 Design Philosophy
In the design of BMC-2, it has been important to provide constant control of your speakers, regardless of the state of your computer or other signal sources.
Another criterion was not to touch the signal unless necessary.
Consequently, BMC-2 features a synchronous design with bit transparent handling, impressive jitter rejection and a sample rate generator with a memory lock function that is invoked should the clocking input fail. The XLR outputs have been optimized for both balanced and unbalanced operation. When buying or soldering XLR-to-TRS adapters, please follow the wiring diagram on the following page to take advantage of hum and noise suppression even in unbalanced mode.
One important feature of the BMC-2 is that it can avoid noise when switching between different sample rates. But thanks to the sample rate memory lock, BMC-2 can even handle an input clock that is coming and going.
BMC-2 continues to run at the last measured clock rate, when your Airport Express or other feeding device may think it’s time to sleep. TC Electronic tries to treat your speakers as gently as possible, so if you remove power from BMC-2 ungracefully by pulling the power instead of switching it off, all you hear is a minor anomaly.
There is one thing beyond the control of the design, however: If you attach digital speakers and switch between sources at different sample rates, it depends on these speakers whether noise occurs during switching or not. It is down to how the speaker handles a change of sample rate while it is active. You should consult with the manufacturer of your digital monitors to inquire as to how they handle rapid changes of sample rate and the monitors' ability to adjust to them, quickly. To our knowledge, this is not an issue with Genelec SAM (8100, 8200, 8300, 1200, and 7200 series) monitors and subwoofers.
TC Electronic BMC-2 Features
- Inputs - Connect the inputs you wish to use. The S/PDIF input also handles AES3 and AES3-id format. Simply press one of the three INPUT SELECT keys to select the input you wish to listen to.
- Outputs - Analog speakers connect to the XLRs, digital speakers to the S/PDIF output. The S/PDIF output is really an AES 3-id output, so BMC-2 can drive AES inputs, even over long cable runs.
- Level Control - The big level knob controls the level to the speakers unless REF is active. The knob produces transparent gain settings with 0.0dB at the 3 o'clock position.
- Reference levels - Press the REF key to activate calibrated listening on both sets of speakers as well as on headphones.
- iCheck - Data reduced audio is not the same as "CD quality". BMC-2 provides a shortcut for revealing artifacts of data reduction. At bit-rates lower than 256kbps for stereo, the spatial imaging is often compromised, which may be easily exposed by listening to the components of the image in isolation.
TC Electronic BMC-2 Specifications
- Digital Inputs and Outputs
- Connector (S/PDIF, AES3-id compatible): RCA Phono, BNC adapter included, 75 Ohm, 1 Vpp (terminated)
- Formats (S/PDIF and TOSLINK): S/PDIF (24-bit), IEC 958, Pro-status bits
- Connector (ADAT® or TOSLINK): Optical Pipe
- Format (ADAT®): Ch. 1 to 4 @ 48 kHz, Ch. 1 to 4 SMUX @ 96 kHz
- Digital IO Engine: TCAT DICE JR, handling all IO formats
- Clock and Jitter
- Internal Sample Rate (fallback): 48 kHz
- External Sample Rates: 43 to 97 kHz, jitter rejection at all rates
- Jitter Rejection Engine: JET™ technology in TCAT DICE JR
- Jitter Rejection Filter (4th order): > 3 dB @ 10 Hz, > 100 dB @ 600 Hz
- DIO Interface Jitter: < 1 ns peak, BW: 700 Hz to 100 kHz
- DA Conversion Jitter: < 42 ps RMS, BW: 100 Hz to 40 kHz
- Output Phase (all digital outputs): < 0.5% of Sample Period
- Processing Delay DIO @ 96/48 kHz: 0.15/0.3 ms
- Frequency Response DIO: DC to 23.9 kHz ± 0.01 dB @ 48 kHz
- Line Output Channel 1/2
- Connectors: XLR balanced with ground sensing
- Impedance: < 100 Ohm
- Max. Output Level: +13 dBu, -5 dBu DIM activated
- Digital Gain: Off to +12 dB
- THD: < -93 dB (0.002 %) @ 1 kHz, -1 dBFS, 0 dB gain
- Dynamic Range incl. DIM: > 118 dB (121 dB a-weighted), 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Freq. Response: +0/-0.2 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Crosstalk: < -98 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- D to A Conversion: 24 bit, 128 x Oversampling Bitstream
- D to A Delay: 0.40 ms / 0.20 ms @ 48 kHz / 96 kHz
- Headphones Output
- Connectors: 1/4" Phone Jack (Stereo)
- Impedance: 80 Ohms
- Max. Output Level: +20 dBu (no load)
- Digital gain: Off to +12 dB
- < -85 dB (0.006 %) @ 1 kHz,
- -1 dBFS, 0 dB gain, 300 Ohm
- Dynamic Range: > 102 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Freq. Response: +0/-0.2 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Power @ 40 Ohm Load: 200 mW
- Power @ 600 Ohm Load: 93 mW
- Complies with:
- EN 55103-1 and EN 55103-2,
- FCC part 15 Class B, CISPR 22 Class B
- Certified to:
- IEC 60065, EN 60065, UL60065
- CSA E60065 CSA FILE #LR108093
- Operating Temperature: 32° F to 122° F (0° C to 50° C)
- Storage Temperature: -22° F to 167° F (-30° C to 70° C)
- Humidity: Max. 90 % non-condensing
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 5.5" x 2.5" x 6.9" (140 x 64 x 176 mm)
- Weight: 1.8 lb. (0.82 kg)
- Finish: Acrylic and anodized aluminum front panel. Plated and coated chassis. Rubber coated side plates.
- Signal in Meter: 1 LED per stereo channe
- (all digital inputs): activated at -60 dBFs)
- Stereo PPM Bridge:
- (Stereo, MONO, SIDE): 12 LEDs per channel
- Mains Power Supply: 12 VDC
- Power Consumption: < 8.4 W
- Warranty Parts and labor: 1 Year
TC Electronic BMC-2 Includes
- User Guide / Owners Manual
- 1 Year Manufacturers' Warranty
TC Electronic BMC-2 Downloads
Click here to view all TC Electronic products