SPL Transient Designer Plus Plug-In (Download)
Birthing a sea change in dynamics processing, the analog Transient Designer and its plugin counterpart both use SPL's Differential Envelope Technology to produce level-independent dynamics processing.
Unlike compressors, Transient Designer can transparently shape the attack and sustain characteristics of sounds no matter their level—jet engine-loud or whisper-quiet, constant or fluctuating—and without the need to fiddle with threshold, attack and release controls.
In fact, Transient Designer uses only two primary controls—Attack and Sustain—to process dynamics. In mere seconds, you can increase or decrease the attack portion of a sound up to 15 dB and simultaneously amplify or attenuate its sustain up to 24 dB. Make trap drums slam harder. Tame a ringing snare drum. Reduce excessive cymbal bleed into tom mics. Increase sustain on soaring guitar solos. Enhance crunchy pick strikes on electric guitar vamps. Make legato rhythm tracks pulse. Reshape reverb envelopes for non-linear response. All with the twist of just two knobs.
Now, with the release of the next-generation Transient Designer Plus, this venerated industry staple has become even more powerful. The new plugin has all the straightforward ease-of-use and speed of the original but adds potent new features that expand its uses exponentially.
More Powerful and Versatile
In Transient Designer Plus, the Output Gain control is placed before a new soft-clip limiter in the audio path. Say goodbye to lowering the fader for your track every time you boost the Attack or Sustain knob—the built-in limiter prevents digital clipping with all but the most extreme settings. But the limiter is also your ticket to pumping out bigger, more colorful and aggressive-sounding tracks. Crank the Attack and Output Gain controls on kick and snare drums with the limiter switched in, and your drums will sound louder, punchier and fuller with subtle distortion on peaks. A 10-segment LED-style ladder meter shows at a glance how much gain reduction the limiter is applying to the signal.
Parallel processing has also never been easier or faster with Transient Designer Plus, because the routing is all set up for you behind the scenes and controlled by one knob, the new Parallel Mix control. Get ready for full-bodied, in-your-face guitar tracks! Dial in over-the-top Sustain, then lower the Parallel Mix control to blend the supersize sound with the guitar's dry sound. It's the best of both worlds: bigger-than-life tone, but with detail, dynamic range and phase coherency flawlessly preserved.
Transient Designer Plus also adds powerful sidechain facilities that allow surgical, pinpoint processing that the original plugin and analog hardware could only dream of. On a submix for drums, switch in the internal sidechain's narrow bandpass filter and raise its center frequency to trigger enhanced attack on snare drum hits while leaving the kick drum virtually untouched. Setup is incredibly easy: A Sidechain Solo function lets you hear the filtered sidechain signal as you sweep the center frequency, homing in on your desired trigger in seconds.
Another extremely powerful feature in Transient Designer Plus is the new external sidechain input, which you can use to create ultra-tight grooves. Make kick drum hits trigger decreased sustain on a bass guitar track to firm up a loose rhythm section and make it pulse. Or make a staccato guitar track attack harder whenever Latin percussion instruments enter the mix. Your rhythm tracks will sound better than ever before.
New Undo and Redo functions—up to 32 steps for each—let you recover control setups you accidentally altered. Automate separate A, B, C and D plugin setups for verse, chorus, bridge and outro of your song to make every second of your mix sound perfect. Along with the new soft-clip limiter, Parallel Mix control and internal and external sidechain functions, these professional features make the Transient Designer Plus the most versatile, musical, potent and easy-to-use Transient Designer yet.
SPL hardware products can be found in the world’s most renowned facilities, and have become a staple for audio professionals ranging from home studio owners to top mastering engineers. With the growth of computer based audio systems, the need for the SPL sound in plugin form has also grown. With Analog Code® plugins, that coveted SPL sound is now available right inside your DAW.
SPL Transient Designer Plus Plug-In (Download) Features
- Separate controls allow for ±15 dB adjustment to Attack and ±24 dB adjustment to Sustain
- Soft-clip limiter helps prevent digital clipping when generously boosting Attack and/or Sustain
- Internal sidechain filter sculpts the frequency response of the trigger signal to enable selective processing of audio elements embedded in subgroups, stems and mixes
- External sidechain input enables processing of transients and sustain envelopes in audio path to be triggered by other sources or tracks
- Sidechain Solo function monitors the sidechain signal, aiding adjustment of the internal sidechain's bandpass filter
- Parallel Mix control adjusts the balance of wet and dry signals for fast and hassle-free parallel processing
- Link switch links left and right channels in stereo configurations
- 32 steps of Undo and Redo
- Four global setups can be stored, recalled and automated for instant changes to parameter settings across the entire plugin
- 10-segment LED-style ladder meter shows the amount of gain reduction applied by the limiter
- Signal-present and overload indicators aid troubleshooting to get your session quickly back on track
- An essential mix tool endorsed by the world’s finest professional engineers
- Four Settings buttons allow you to quickly store and compare four different settings
- Mouse Wheel control of parameters
SPL Transient Designer Plus Plug-In (Download) Specifications
- Supported Plugin Formats
- AAX DSP, AAX Native, AU, Venue AAX, VST2, VST3
- Supported Operating Systems
- Mac OS X 10.6 through OSX 10.10*
- Windows 7 or 8**
- Pro Tools 10 or higher or any VST/VST3/AU-compatible host running on a supported operating system
- Intel CPU only (minimum 2 GHz recommended)
- *We do not currently support OS X El Capitan
- Intel-compatible CPU with SSE2 instruction set (Pentium 4 compatible or higher; minimum 2 GHz recommended)
- ** Does not currently support Windows 10
- System Requirements
- Display resolution: 1440 × 900px or 1280 × 960px or higher
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
SPL Transient Designer Plus Plug-In (Download) Downloads
What We Think
"The SPL Transient Designer Plug-In is such a unique tool that not only works in such a fashion as to shape the transient (obviously) and leading energy edge of the waveform, but some settings push you into sounds of extreme compression and even expansion on the other end of the spectrum. So, as you emphasize the transient attack, you are also pushing down the decay of the signal, which results in an effect similar to expansion. When you are taming the transient, you really are leaning on the decay of the waveform and that can give you some more extreme inflated sounds similar to extreme compression. Regardless of these 'misuses' of the plug-in, it really helps to give you a valuable tool to use beyond equalization and compression to control how an instrument sits and performs within the mix. We really cannot recommend the SPL Transient Designer Plug-In enough!"
Alan Moon - Front End Audio
Click here to view all SPL products