RME ADI-8 DS 8-Channel AD/DA Converter Details
The ADI-8 DS is nearly identical to the ADI-8 PRO. Additional features include 88.2 and 96 kHz sample rate and Dither. DS stands for Double Speed, meaning double sample rate. As ADAT optical does not support sample rates higher than 48 kHz the DS mode requires two channels to transmit the data of one channel. The used method called Sample Split is compatible to S/MUX, and also found in the Hammerfall and Hammerfall Light. The combination Hammerfall / ADI-8 DS allows DVD-compatible Hi-End recordings (up to 8 channel @ 96 kHz), at an astonishing low price.
The ADI-8 DS is an 8 channel AD/DA converter with reference approach. The compact 19" 1U rackmount enclosure includes several outstanding features, like Intelligent Clock Control (ICC), SyncCheck, SyncAlign, TDIF/ADAT converter and Bit Splitter. AD- and DA-circuit automatically operate either independently or linked. The latest 24 bit converters with 128 times oversampling achieve 117 dBA true dynamic range. All digital inputs and outputs operate at full 24-bit resolution. If you have been waiting for a flexible, fully professional yet affordable multi-channel converter - the wait is over.
Use the following feature list to compare our ADI-8 DS with all other multitrack converters, and you will agree: The ADI-8 DS has the best price/performance ratio!
RME ADI-8 DS 8-Channel AD/DA Converter Features
- 8 channel AD-converter, completely symmetrical and DC-coupled audio path, 117 dBA SNR AD
- 8 channel DA-converter, balanced output, 112 dBA DA
- ADAT optical inputs, 24 bit, based on RME's unsurpassed Bitclock PLL for sample accurate lock
- ADAT optical outputs, 24 bit, fully compatible to all ADAT optical inputs
- TDIF-1 interface, 24 bit, Low Jitter PLL, Emphasis support, DA-88 compatible
- Bit Split/Combine, Yamaha 02R compatible technique to record 24 bit data onto 16 bit machines
- Copy Mode adds a unique 24 bit ADAT to/from TDIF converter
- Bit Split/Combine, Copy Mode, ADAT and TDIF usable in all combinations
- Digital Patchbay operation, allows to copy, duplicate and distribute the digital input signals
- Dither available, for full compatibility to 16 bit even at 96 kHz
- SyncCheck, unique technology to check clock synchronisation
- Virtual Sample Buffer, allows to use the internal Low Jitter Clock (quarz crystal) even for DA-conversion
- Automatic storage of all settings
The ADI-8 DS' astonishing capabilities are easy to explore thanks to a simple and easy to understand user interface. Let's have a short walk over the front panel from left to right. Setting up the ADI-8 DS starts with an input sensitivity that perfectly suits your needs and maintains the excellent dynamic range of the AD-Converters. INPUT LEVEL lets you choose between Lo Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV.
Each analog input has its own 'Signal Present' and 'Clip' LED, so levels and Overload are easy to check. The key PROCESS activates Bit Split (spread the 24 bit signal on two outputs), Double Speed mode (DS) and Dither (Dith.) Bit Split allows two 8-channel 16 bit tape recorders to record 8 channels in 24 bit resolution. Bit Split works with both TDIF and ADAT.
RME's intelligent clock control (ICC) provides professional features you won't find anywhere else. First set the clock of the AD-Converter, choose between INTERNAL, EXTERNAL (BNC word clock) or INPUT (the digital input signal ADAT or TDIF.) The internal clock can be 44.1/48 or - when DS is active - 88.2 or 96 kHz. The DA-Converter has the same settings available. The current state of locking and clock synchronization is shown by blinking or constantly lit LEDs. The next key DIGITAL INPUT determines the used digital input, and the clock source in case INPUT was activated.
DIGITAL INPUT is already part of the DA-Converter section. Next is COMBINE which activates both the re-combination of split signals back to a full 24 bit signal and Double Speed mode. The key COPY MODE routes the digital input to the digital outputs ADAT and TDIF. As these operate simultaneously sending identical data the ADI-8 DS not only turns into a superior ADAT/TDIF converter, but also allows copying between devices of the same format and a distribution to different devices. For example an ADAT signal can be distributed to 2 ADAT plus 2 TDIF outputs simultaneously. In Copy Mode also both Bit Split and COMBINE are available, so it's possible to recombine a split signal while copying, or split a not split signal, or recombine and split again into another format. With this the ADI-8 DS turns into an extremely powerful TDIF/ADAT interface.
Each analog output has its own 'Signal Present' LED which works in an analog fashion (brighter at higher levels.) A push on OUTPUT LEVEL sets Hi Gain, +4 dBu or -10 dBV as analog output level.
RME ADI-8 DS 8-Channel AD/DA Converter Specifications
- Input AD: 1/4" TRS jack and 25 pin D-type connector, servo balanced, completely symmetrical DC-coupled audio path
- Output AD: ADAT optical, TDIF-1 (both 24 bit), word clock
- Input DA: ADAT optical, TDIF-1 (both 24 bit), word clock
- Output DA: 1/4" TRS jack and 25 pin D-type connector, servo balanced, DC-coupled audio path
- SNR AD: 117 dBA
- THD AD: < -110 dB (< 0.00032 %)
- THD+N AD: < -104 dB (< 0.00063 %)
- Crosstalk AD: > 130 dB
- SNR DA: 112 dBA unmuted
- THD DA: < -104 dB (< 0.00063 %)
- THD+N DA: < -102 dB (< 0.0008 %)
- Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB
- Input/Output level at 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
- Input/Output level at 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
- Input/Output level at 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV
- Sample rates 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, variable (Sync/Word Clock)
- Frequency response AD/DA, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz - 21.5 kHz (sf 48 kHz)
- Frequency response AD/DA, -0.5 dB: < 5 Hz - 44.8 kHz (sf 96 kHz)
- Power supply: internal, 100 V-240 V AC
- Dimensions: 483 x 44 x 200 mm
- Warranty: 2 years