Langevin HP-101 Studio Headphone Mixer Details
Reborn under the Manley brand, the MHP-101 is the "More Me Box" aimed at solving big challenges for the artist and engineer alike. Give the artist the ability to customizxe his or her mix while the engineer focuses on recording and tyhe producer gets the best performance. The Manley MHP-101 Personal Headphone Mixer is "Best in Class" entirely built in America, built to last, handcrafted to audiophile sonic standards. There is no better sounding cue system out there. It is not cheap, so if you want the best, you'll reach for this flexible and proven cue system.
Manley subtitles this unit "THE MORE ME BOX" because this is possibly its most important feature. Along with the typical cue mix or the control room mix, the engineer can offer each musician a fader dedicated to their own instrument. Experience teaches us that each musician always wants to hear more of themselves and that trying to meet this demand with several musicians and with too few aux sends is quite a mind bending challenge. As long as each musician's headphone is plugged into a separate station, each can have their own custom mix within arms reach. This frees up the engineer to concentrate on recording and getting the best sound and allows the producer to focus on performances because the musicians' monitoring needs are met quickly and easily. It also frees up console aux sends so that they may be used for effect sends. With this station you will be able to offer musicians a better sounding headphone amp than most major studios and be able to provide some significant improvements over basic stereo cue boxes or any other headphone system.
Each MHP-101 station provides 8 x balanced inputs: four mono channels with FADER and PAN plus two stereo feeds with rotary switches providing stereo, mono and SIM processing. This cool SIM setting monos the bass which makes it sound more like listening to real speakers.
Channel one has a PHASE switch, intended primarily for the vocalist. Voice is heard through the bones in the head as well as the phones. You may not hear much difference switching the phase in the control room but the person at the mic certainly will. Polarity gets inverted all the time in studios which may explain why sometimes the vocal is so loud in the phones or sounds different on playback to the singer. The PHASE switch sure does come in handy.
The 8 inputs appear on ELCO multi-connectors, wired to ADAT standard, making linking or daisy-chaining several stations easy. See ELCO pinout here. We approach cable making as a custom order which means prices depend on length and quantity and connector choice. Please contact us for a factory quote.
The Mute controls the Power Amps directly and steps through ON, MUTE, LEFT MUTE and RIGHT MUTE then back to ON. This is such an important feature! By muting one channel, if the musician wants to put one can on his head, sound from that speaker won't be leaking into your overheads! Each station also has bass and treble EQ controls carefully optimized for headphones. The master stereo volume control feeds the built-in power amps which produce peak voltage (equivalent to) well over a hundred watts per channel to drive up to 4 headsets at any volume the musician may choose. No weeny little beetles like you'd find in your iPod here!
The two features that impress the musicians the most are the easy communication with one button and the fabulous sonic quality even at extreme levels. Ever clever, the ELCO connectors also provide pins used for several other communication and monitoring functions, including TALK and INTERRUPT. There are also hidden features on the ELCO's such as the ability for the control room to monitor each stations' headphone mix or the to hear the unswitched "always-on" individual station microphone. The Manley MHP-101 is a versatile system, to be sure.
Langevin HP-101 Studio Headphone Mixer Features & Specs
- All inputs on ELCO/EDAC 56-pin connectors 40Kohm input Z
- Channels 1 - 4: Balanced line-level mono with 60 mm fader and pan pot
- Channels 5 - 6: Balanced line-level stereo with 60 mm fader switchable Mono, Stereo or Stereo Image Manipulation (SIM)
- CMRR greater than 70dB with source Z< 150 ohm
- Four 1/4" stereo headphone jacks connected in parallel
- Peak to peak voltage: typically 50 volts into 100 ohms
- Power output: 3 watts RMS into any load from 4 to 100 ohms
- Output impedance less than 0.1 ohm
- Built-in protection against overvoltage, undervoltage, overloads, shorts to the supplies or outputs, thermal runaway, and most other catastrophes.
- No power-down / power-up thumps, pops, or DC
- Multi-mode MUTE button ("panic button")
- THD + Noise: < .03% (-70dB)
- Tone controls > +/- 12 dB @ 100 ohms & 10 Kohms (gentle slope)
- Multimode TALKBACK. "TALK" over music, "INTerrupt" kills music
- DC control voltage enables individual stations to receive TalkBack signal
- Built in MIC and TALK button, 2 LEDs show TalkBack mode
- MIC and SWITCHED MIC signal available via ELCO input
- Dedicated external PSU per station.
- Power consumption (120/240VAC): 13 watts
- Factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage changeable with power transformer re-wiring via switch and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: 11 1/4" x 7 3/4" x 2 1/2"
- Shipping Weight: 9 lbs.
Langevin HP-101 Studio Headphone Mixer Downloads
Click here to view all Manley products