M-Audio M3-8 Active Studio Monitor
The M-Audio M3-8 Studio Reference Monitor delivers its truly spectacular three-way sound from the same compact cabinet size as a standard two-way monitor.
Step up to superior three-way sound with the M-Audio M3-8 Active Studio Monitor. Savor the improved fidelity, enhanced imaging, and super-wide sweet spot of this exceptional three-way studio monitor as you mix your sessions and laydown tracks. Track and mix with the enhanced accuracy and superior imaging that only a three-way monitor can provide. Using an efficient inline design, the space-saving M3-8 Studio Reference Monitors provide truly spectacular three-way sound in the same space as a standard two-way monitor.
In the sophisticated design of the M3-8, the midrange and tweeter are mounted in-line with each other (the tweeter is actually mounted at the apex of the midrange) at precisely the same point in space. Doing so means the sound of the two drivers integrates perfectly, without the “time/arrival distortion” of conventionally-spaced drive units. Instead, with the M-Audio M3-8, the all-important midrange and treble information reaches your ears at precisely the same time, delivering the ultimate in detail and clarity. No speaker with conventionally-mounted drivers can equal the M3-8’s incredibly natural, three-dimensional sound field. Your mixes sound real, and you can make very confident, precise adjustments to your recordings. That’s what a great monitor is supposed to do for you.
Kevlar is an ideal driver diaphragm material: Incredibly strong, stiff and light (it’s used in military body armor!). We use it in both the M3-8’s 8” woofer and the 5” midrange, giving those units an incredibly fast transient attack, excellent sensitivity and great resistance to cone flexing and resonant breakup at high power levels. Loud, strong and fast—perfect monitor characteristics. The 1” woven silk dome tweeter uses Ferro-fluid voice coil cooling for added reliability at studio power levels and this tweeter imparts virtually no harshness or “listening fatigue,” as is often the case with metal dome tweeters. This is extremely important to the recording engineer who spends hours in the studio, listening to his mixes, relying on his unfatigued hearing to make subtle adjustments. Additionally, the tweeter is mounted in an integrated waveguide, which precisely focuses and directs the treble energy into the listening field, ensuring a solid and stable sonic image and minimizing the random acoustic “scatter” that would distract from properly evaluating the recording’s playback.
Three individual internal amplifiers provide power to each of the three speaker elements. These amplifiers are specifically tailored to the drivers they are matched with, for smooth operation and system synergy that is virtually impossible to equal using outboard amplifiers and passive speakers. A total of 220 watts of Class AB amplification empowers the M3-8 with ample headroom for even the loudest mixes. The carefully-selected crossover points divide the frequency spectrum into very precise bands so that each individual driver only handles the exact frequency range where it is most accurate. The powerful three-band (LF, MF, HF) EQ gives you the flexibility to shape the sound to match your listening environment. The switchable low-cut filter is perfect for tailoring the M3-8’s bass response for use with a subwoofer, like M-Audio’s BX Subwoofer. Pinhole-mounted blue LEDs provide an easy-to-use visual aid for perfect speaker placement.
The result of all these innovations and thoughtful design touches is an outstanding studio monitor speaker able to perform at a far higher level than the typical monitor—even in the most critical listening environment. Your mix is only as good as your monitor. Don’t settle for less than the best.
M-Audio M3-8 Active Studio Monitor Features
- Real wood baffle; optimized internal bracing
- Inline mid- & high-frequency drivers offer superior imaging
- 8" woven Kevlar low-frequency driver
- 5" woven Kevlar mid-frequency driver
- 1" silk dome tweeter with integrated waveguide
- Tri-amp Class A/B power, 220 Watts total
- XLR and 1/4" balanced inputs; RCA unbalanced input
- 3-band EQ with bypass; switchable low-cut filter
- Rear-mounted volume and power control
M-Audio M3-8 Active Studio Monitor Specifications
- Frequency response: 38 Hz - 22 kHz
- Crossover frequency
- Low-Mid: 450 Hz
- Mid-High: 3.9 kHz
- Amplifier Power
- Low-frequency amplifier power: 150 W
- Mid-frequency amplifier power: 35 W
- High-frequency amplifier power: 35 W
- LF cutoff switch: flat, 60 Hz, 80 Hz
- Equalizer Controls
- LF: +/- 6 dB boost/cut at 100 Hz
- MF: +/- 6 dB boost/cut at 1 kHz
- HF: +/- 6 dB boost/cut at 10 kHz
- Bypass switch
- Polarity: Positive signal at + input produces outward LF cone displacement
- Input impedance: 20 k Ω balanced, 10 k Ω unbalanced
- Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at 1 meter with volume control at maximum
- Protection:Output current limiting; over-temperature; transient on/off protection to prevent speaker "pops"; subsonic filter; external mains fuse
- Cabinet:Wood veneer front baffle with vinyl-laminated cabinet
- Size (W x H x D): 10.6" x 17.1" x 11.2"; 268 mm x 434 mm x 285 mm
- Weight: 28.2 lbs.; 12.8 kg
Click here to view all M-Audio products