Grace Design m201 2-Channel Microphone Preamp Details
The Grace Design m201 2-Channel Microphone Preamp is a completely redesigned upgrade of the model 201 which was in production for over a 12 years. The original model 201 found its way into countless recording facilities around the world, gathering a considerable amount of critical acclaim along the way. Now the m201 with it's number of improvements takes aim to
Like the rest of the Grace Design line, the new m201 delivers unmatched audio performance, with massive headroom, ultra-wide bandwidth and a very open, musical character. The signal path has been hot-rodded to be fully balanced from start to finish, resulting in a wider dynamic range, while new high-current output drivers enable even longer cable runs without signal loss. This means the m201 can translate a sonic picture of astonishing clarity and detail, which serves to capture the essential character of the music being recorded.
Grace Design also offers the m201 with their optional state of the art 24-bit/192kHz A/D converter, installed at the factory when ordered new, or as a retrofit to existing units. With the A/D converter module installed, the microphone preamplifier section or the M+S matrix can be routed to the A/D converter input directly for standard recording applications. Or, with the additional analog line inputs on the A/D converter module, the mic preamplifier and A/D converter sections can be used separately, which allows for external processing to be inserted between the mic amp and the A/D converter. External synchronization to word clock or Avid/Digidesign LoopSync is available, and features our proprietary dual stage PPL with s-Lock for extremely low jitter and rock solid digital stability without the use of sample rate conversion.
Also, Grace Design's exclusive ribbon mic mode is standard, which shifts the gain range up 10dB while deactivating 48V phantom power, bypassing the decoupling capacitors and optimizing the input impedance. Each channel has an ‘input mode’ rotary switch which selects between a standard 48V phantom input, ribbon mic mode, a front panel DI input or optional DPA high voltage inputs (130V or 190V).
Included is Grace Design's newly designed M+S (mid side) decoder circuitry with a built-in width control. The front panel width control is wired with a precision 12 position rotary switch which provides a ratio range from 100% mid (mono) to 30% mid / 70% side. The ultra-precision summing and difference amplifiers feed a set of dedicated outputs, allowing simultaneous recording of discrete mid+side signals as well as the stereo matrix.
The new front panel mounted HI-Z inputs are designed to accommodate a wide variety of high impedance input sources, making the m201 an excellent choice as a DI box which will flawlessly preserve the sound of any plugged-in instrument. Imagine the same resolution and detail as our microphone preamplifiers available for DI recording situations.
Whatever the application, the remarkable sonic performance and functionality of the new m201 will help you make the finest recordings of your career.
Grace Design m201 2-Channel Microphone Preamp Features
- fully balanced, transformerless design
- dual parallel XLR outputs for each channel
- ribbon mic mode
- front panel DI / instrument inputs
- DPA microphones 130V (190V) phantom power option
- built in M+S decoder with dedicated outputs and front panel width control
- precision 24 position gold contact rotary switch gain controls
- new, higher current outputs drive even longer cable runs
- no electrolytic capacitors in the signal path
- sealed gold contact relays for all signal switching
- large two color, bi-phase LED peak indicator
- regulated linear power supply with custom wound toroidal transformer
- highest quality components used throughout
- five year transferable warranty on parts and labor
Grace Design m201 2-Channel Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Frequency Response
- @ 40dB gain 0.2dB (50? source): 18Hz-65kHz
- @ 40dB gain 3dB (50? source): 4.5Hz-350kHz
- @ 20dB gain +25dBu out, 1kHz: <.0008%
- @ 40dB gain +25dBu out, 1kHz: <.0009%
- @ 60dB gain +25dBu out, 1kHz: <.0070%
- Intermodulation Distortion
- @ 40dB gain +25dBu out
- SMPTE/DIN 1:1 (50Hz, 7kHz): <.0020%
- SMPTE/DIN 4:1 (50Hz, 7kHz): <.0030%
- Noise - Referred to Input
- @ 60dB gain 50Ω source: -130dB
- @ 60dB gain 150Ω source: -127dB
- @ 60dB gain 600Ω source: -123dB
- Phase Deviation
- 100Hz-20kHz @40dB gain: < 3
- Any Channel @ 40dB gain 1kHz: -125dB
- Any Channel @ 40dB gain 10kHz: -115dB
- @ 60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 1kHz: >70dB
- @ 60dB gain, 3.5Vcm, 10kHz: >70dB
- Maximum Output Level
- Input: 8100Ω
- Input, ribbon mode: 20kΩ
- Output: 190Ω
- Peak Led Meter
- Green threshold: -14dBu
- Red threshold: +16dBu
- Physical Specifications
- Weight: 16.5lbs (7.5kg)
- Dimensions: 2U, 19 rack mount x 10 deep
Grace Design m201 2-Channel Microphone Preamp Downloads
What People Are Saying...
"It sounds very open and airy at the top end while also being extremely well extended and full at the bottom end, and that doesn't change with gain at all. It sounds big and spacious when working with stereo pairs, with completely stable and solid imaging."
Hugh Robjohns, Sound On Sound Magazine
Click here to view all Grace Design products