Focusrite OctoPre MKII Dynamic 8-Channel Microphone Preamp Details
Focusrite's Octopre MkII Dynamic does more than take advantage of your interface's lonely, unused ADAT input for a beefed-up channel count. It actually features eight "single-dial" Focusrite compressors, aimed to give you much of the character of the renowned Focusrite Red 3 (without the hefty price tag). So, let's go over it again. The Octopre MkII Dynamic sports eight award-winning preamps from Focusrite that you can pipe into your existing audio interface via ADAT. That means you can get ready to track an entire band at once. And while you track, rather than use all of your computer's bandwidth calling up a CPU-hungry compression plug-in, you can score just the right amount of compression, right from the get go. What else do you need to know about the Focusrite Octopre MkII Dynamic?
Well, you'll definitely want to know that these microphone inputs have a lot of gain. And the preamps are also optimized to handle super-extreme sound sources without clipping, so you'll have no problems tracking acoustic drums. As for the built-in compression — it sports a classic soft-knee design that "does the job," without squashing your sound. Rather, these compressors caress it. There's also Focusrite's unique "More" switch that doubles the ratio to get more of that effect-like compression, when you want it.
What about the I/O? All of it's on the rear panel, with eight mic/line inputs all in a row. The first two channels even feature DIs, so you can plug your guitar or bass straight in and start recording your ideas. And while the Focusrite Octopre MkII Dynamic makes for a great analog-to-digital solution when you connect it to the ADAT input of your trusty audio interface, this feature-packed 1U box can also handle digital-to-analog needs as well. Thanks to the ADAT inputs and eight TRS line outputs, you can monitor any digital ADAT feed. Handy. And of course, when you talk about digital gear, the issue of "clocking" is going to come into play. Rest assured that the Octopre MkII Dynamic features a stable internal clock with rock-solid JetPLL jitter-elimination technology, so your gear sounds as clean and clear as possible.
All in all, if you're wanting to expand the I/O capabilities of your recording rig and you have an audio interface you already know and love... well, the Focusrite Octopre MkII is a steal at this low price. Just connect it up to the ADAT input of your interface, park eight mics on the band you're wanting record, and you're good to go. And the built-in compression? It's there to sweeten your sound — and it certainly sweetens this Focusrite Octopre MkII deal.
Focusrite OctoPre MKII Dynamic 8-Channel Microphone Preamp Features
- Eight award-winning Focusrite pre-amps: Focusrite's unparalleled pre-amp legacy forms the foundation of this new device, with pre-amps optimized to handle extreme levels from sound sources like acoustic drums.
- Eight ‘single-dial’ Focusrite Compressors: A single dial gets you to the right amount of compression, fast. These new VCA-based, feed-forward compressors model the character of the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
- Compress transparently or with effect: The classic soft-knee design achieves beautifully transparent compression that caresses your sound. Focusrite’s unique “More” switch doubles the ratio to deliver ‘compression with effect’.
- Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital outputs: Make the most of your interface's ADAT input for tracking, with eight channels of analog to digital conversion via ADAT, boasting a ‘real world’ dynamic range performance of 110dB.
- Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs: Switchable from the front panel, digital to analogue conversion via ADAT provides analogue monitoring of any digital ADAT feed, as well as the ability to clock from any ADAT device.
- State-of-the-art Clocking Solutions: OctoPre MkII Dynamic's internal clock delivers a jitter performance of +/- 20 PPM. For external clocks, industry-standard JetPLL jitter elimination technology is employed
- Two high-quality instrument inputs: OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s first two channels feature DI’s, ready for you to plug in your Guitars and Bass. No expensive external DI required.
- 8-channel preamplifier and AD/DA converter
- ADAT output, so you can add eight channels to your current audio interface
- Eight built-in "single-dial" Focusrite compressors with soft-knee design
- Built-in 8-channel 24-bit/96kHz ADAT I/O
- Eight analog outputs for monitoring the digital or analog inputs
- Switchable phantom power in groups: channels 1-4 and 5-8
- Word clock I/O with industry-standard JetPLL jitter-elimination technology
- Internal clocking, master clocking, and external clocking via BNC or ADAT
- 5-input LED metering on every channel
- Capable of 24-bit resolution and 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz sampling rates
Focusrite OctoPre MKII Dynamic 8-Channel Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Mic Input
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
- THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: EIN > 125dB (128dB analogue to digital): measured at ~60dB of gain with 150 Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Mic Gain: +10dB to + 55dB
- Phantom power switched in 4 channel groups on Mic. 1-4 and 5-8
- Maximum input level +16dBu
- Line Input
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD+N: <0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Line 1-8 Gain: -10dB to +36dB
- Maximum input level +26dBu
- Instrument Input
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Instrument Gain: +10dB to +55dB
- Maximum input level +16dBu
- Analogue Output
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB.
- THD+N <0.0010% (-100dB) (measured with 0dBFS input 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, un-weighted)
- Nominal output level 0dBFS = 16dBu, balanced
- Threshold Range: -44dBFS (Max setting) to -4dBFS (Min setting)
- Compression Ratio Normal: 2:1, More: 4:1
- Auto Make Up Gain: 4dB (Min setting), 18dB (Max setting)
- Attack Time: 1.2ms, Release Time: 28ms (-3.5dB method)
- Compression Curve: Classic Focusrite Soft Knee
- THD+N (maximum at any compression threshold, input < +16dBu, gain at minimum): < 0.18%
- A/D Dynamic Range 110dB ‘A-weighted’ (all inputs)
- D/A Dynamic Range 110dB ‘A-weighted’ (all outputs)
- Clock Jitter < 250 pico seconds
- Sample rates: 44.1kHz to 96kHz
- Sample Rate Clock Accuracy: +/- 20PPM
- JetPLL technology providing superb jitter reduction for class leading converter performance
- Clock sources: Internal, Word Clock and ADAT (from ADAT1 input only)
- Single unit unboxed net weight : 3.6 kg / 7.3 lbs
- Single unit boxed net weight : 4.05 kg / 8.9 lbs
- Unboxed: W = 484mm / 19”, H = 45mm / 1.8”, D = 265mm / 10.4”
- Boxed: W= 595 mm / 23.5”, H= 120 mm / 4.75”, D= 340 mm / 13.4”
- Analogue Channel Inputs
- 2x Mic / Line / Instrument inputs on the rear panel (Inputs 1 and 2). Switches automatically between Mic (XLR) and Line (TRS). Instrument selected via front panel buttons.
- 6x Mic / Line inputs on the rear panel. Switches automatically between Mic (XLR) and Line (TRS).
- Analogue Channel Outputs
- 8x Balanced 1/4" TRS Jack on the rear panel
- Switching to enable monitoring of A/D inputs or ADAT inputs with ADDA switch on front panel.
- Digital I/O
- 2x ADAT Lightpipe (TOSLINK) inputs. Provides 8 channels at 44.1 and 48kHz (please note that in this mode, only ADAT input 1 is active, allowing for a total of 8 ADAT input channels at 44.1 / 48kHz). Provide 4 channels per port (8 total) at 88.2 and 96kHz (S-MUX).
- 2x ADAT Lightpipe (TOSLINK) outputs. Provides 8 channels per port (16 total) at 44.1 and 48kHz (please note that in this mode, the digital outputs are mirrored, providing outputs 1 - 8 on both ports). Provides 4 channels per port (8 total) at 88.2 and 96kHz (S-MUX).
- Word-Clock in and out on rear panel BNC connectors
- Front Panel Indicators
- 8x Five segment input LED meters (-42, -18, -6, -3 and 0dBFS)
- 4x Sample Rate LED's (44.1k, 48k, 88.2k and 96k)
- 3x Sync Source LED's (Internal, Word Clock and ADAT)
- 'Lock' indicator LED
- ADDA Switch for analogue output source selection (A/D’s or ADAT inputs)
Click here to view all Focusrite products