Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface
Focusrite’s compact 18-in, 8-out Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt audio interface includes four mic preamps, class-leading digital conversion and astonishing low latency that simplifies your workflow and lets you use plug-ins in real time.
The compact desktop format of the Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt interface belies its versatility as the best interface in its class. Its 18-in, 8-out format combines four newly-designed Clarett mic preamps with Focusrite’s precision 24/192 digital conversion and extra-low round-trip latency of 1.38ms* – low enough to revolutionise your recording workflow, as well as enabling the use of DAW plugins in real time.
The newly-designed Clarett mic pre offers superbly low noise and distortion, plus the switchable “Air” effect – an analogue model of the classic transformer-based ISA preamps. Instrument inputs offer extended headroom to suit the loudest guitar pickup. All four preamps are accessed from combination XLR/TRS sockets on the front panel handling mic (with optional phantom power), line and instrument inputs, and the adjacent gain controls feature Focusrite’s signature encircling “gain halo” indicators that show green for good levels and red for overload. New optimised gain controls make gain changes smoother and more natural throughout. Also on the front panel is a large-format monitor control and two independently-controlled headphone outputs with enough power to drive even high impedance headphones to deliver suitable monitoring levels. Four more line inputs are provided on the rear panel, along with four line outs – both on TRS jacks – plus S/PDIF I/O and an ADAT digital optical format input allowing the addition of eight more inputs from, for example a digital mic pre. A new software mixer, Focusrite Control, is included for easy configuration of monitoring and routing setups. Simple and intuitive to use, Focusrite Control offers a traditional mixer workflow and allows immediate access to internal hardware functions.
Clarett 4Pre comes with a sweet sounding plug-in collection comprising Softube’s Time and Tone Bundle, with TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay, and Saturation Knob. Red 2 & Red 3 AAX, AU & VST Plug-in Suite complements this, accurately modelling Focusrite’s classic Red range equalizer and compressor hardware.
The Clarett 4Pre, like the rest of the Clarett range, includes class-leading precision Focusrite 24/192 digital audio conversion with up to 119dB dynamic range, and combines it with astonishingly low round-trip latency – latency so low that it’s possible to monitor recordings via effects plugins on the DAW such as reverberation, all within a single mix environment for the best possible recording workflow. There’s never been a better, faster or easier way of getting audio into or out of a DAW.
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Features
- Thunderbolt compatibility for Windows!
- The Clarett range is now fully compatible with Windows-based computers, offering stable, reliable operation with identical functionality on both platforms. The Windows driver offers sub-3ms latency. Also provided is a Windows version of the Focusrite Control software mixer for monitoring and routing configuration.
- Compact yet versatile
- 18 inputs and eight outputs in a desktop format characterise the Clarett 4Pre, with four analogue inputs and two stereo headphone outputs on the front panel, alongside a host of connectivity on the rear, including an ADAT input for the addition of eight more inputs from, for example, a digital mic pre.
- Plug straight in
- Four universal mic/line/instrument inputs on the front panel ensure immediate access to the four primary analogue inputs. The newly designed DI’s on Clarett 4Pre allow for even the hottest of guitar pick-ups and deliver a sonic performance that outstrips many dedicated DI’s.
- Revolutionise your work flow
- Clarett Thunderbolt offers astonishingly low round-trip latency (1.38ms*), simplifying your recording and monitoring workflow, and allowing you to use plug-ins in real-time.
- Four New Clarett Mic Pres with extra ‘Air’
- The mic pres have been designed especially for the Clarett range, with plenty of gain, yet low noise and distortion. They feature a switchable “Air” effect – an analogue model of Focusrite’s renowned ISA transformer-based preamps. The Instrument inputs feature extra headroom to handle the loudest pickup.
- Line level inputs for synths and more
- Four dedicated line level TRS jack inputs are provided on the rear panel, along with four line outputs, S/PDIF I/O and eight channels of ADAT in.
- Precision digital conversion
- Clarett features Focusrite’s class-leading precision 24/192 conversion. With up to 119dB dynamic range, Clarett offers the cleanest way yet to get music in and out of your DAW.
- ‘Gain Halo’ Metering
- Focusrite's unique ‘gain halo’ metering provides clear ‘go/no-go’ indication of levels to avoid clipping. Gain controls have been optimised for smoother, more natural adjustment.
- Dual high-power headphone outputs
- The two wide dynamic range headphone outputs are powerful enough to deliver plenty of level, even on high impedance headphones – perfect for both tracking and mixing.
- Software Mixer for maximum control
- Focusrite Control is a brand new software mixer designed with a traditional mixer workflow for easy configuration of monitoring and routing setups. Simple and intuitive to use, Focusrite Control also allows immediate access to internal hardware functions.
- Classic processor plugins included
- Every Clarett includes Softube’s Time and Tone Bundle, with TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay, and Saturation Knob, as well as the Focusrite Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-in Suite.
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Specifications
- Mac: OSX (10.9/10.10)
- The popular Clarett range of Thunderbolt interfaces will be compatible with PCs (Windows 8.1 and 10) with the release of the Clarett Windows driver on the 10th of November. The driver enables users to run these interfaces with the growing number of Thunderbolt-equipped Windows computers, delivering identical functionality to that experienced on the Mac. Windows users will enjoy sub 3 milliseconds round trip latency, and the same reliable, stable operation as Mac-based Clarett owners already experience. The low latency allows users to record and monitor while using their favourite plug-ins in real time, as well as other DAW workflow benefits. Future iterations will add support for Thunderbolt 3 Type C connectivity.
- Due to the vast range of possible hardware combinations, our approach for Thunderbolt support on Windows is to qualify specific systems. Focusrite is currently testing with the following machines:
- HP ZBook
- Molten Technology Intel X99 based machine
- Lenovo Thinkpad W541
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Includes
- Clarett 4Pre
- Power Supply
- Getting Started Guide
- Two Year Warranty
Click here to view all Focusrite products