Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface
Focusrite’s Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt interface is ideal for the discerning Singer Songwriter, providing ten inputs and four outputs.
It includes two newly-designed Clarett mic preamps accessed direct from the front panel, plus class-leading digital conversion and millisecond-level low round-trip latency – so low that DAW plugins can be used while monitoring recordings: for example to add reverb in the headphones for a vocalist. The new Clarett mic pre offers very low noise (EIN -128) and distortion, and also includes the switchable “Air” effect that models the sound of Focusrite’s renowned ISA transformer-based preamps. It also features gain controls with a special law that makes changes smoother and more natural.
Focusrite has been known for top-quality digital conversion for almost as long as it has been respected for its microphone preamps, and the Clarett 2Pre is no exception. Featuring the latest in Focusrite precision digital conversion, 2Pre’s 192kHz/24-bit converters deliver up to 118dB (A/D from mic pre) / 119dB (D/A line out) real-world dynamic range. The two primary inputs are on the front panel in the form of mic/instrument/line combo XLR/TRS sockets and feature the newly-designed Clarett mic pres; in addition, an ADAT optical input can be used to expand the 2Pre’s input capability with eight additional digital channels. The instrument-level inputs are designed with exceptional headroom, to accept the highest output pickup without distortion. Clarett 2Pre includes Focusrite’s signature “Gain Haloes” surrounding the gain controls. These give a simple go/no-go indication of level – green indicates a signal while red indicates that the signal is too hot.
A new software mixer, Focusrite Control, is included for easy configuration of monitoring and routing setups. Simple and intuitive to use, Focusrite Control offers a traditional mixer workflow and allows immediate access to internal hardware functions. Every Clarett also includes the Red 2 & Red 3 AAX, AU & VST Plug-in Suite, which accurately models Focusrite’s classic Red range equalizer and compressor hardware. Clarett 2Pre - There’s never been a better, faster or easier way of getting your sound into or out of a DAW.
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Features
- Thunderbolt compatibility for Windows!
- The Clarett range is now fully compatible with Windows-based computers, offering stable, reliable operation with identical functionality on both platforms. The Windows driver offers sub-3ms latency. Also provided is a Windows version of the Focusrite Control software mixer for monitoring and routing configuration.
- Two New Clarett Mic Pres with extra ‘Air’
- The mic pres have been designed especially for the Clarett range, with plenty of gain, yet low noise and distortion. In addition, they feature a special “Air” feature that switches in an analogue model of the classic transformer-based Focusrite ISA mic pre. Instrument inputs feature extra headroom to handle the loudest pickup.
- Use DAW plugins in real time
- Latency is the delay to a signal as it passes through your DAW system from interface input to interface output. Clarett Thunderbolt interfaces offer the world’s shortest. Signals go round so fast that you can record and monitor through your DAW with plugins such as EQ or compression.
- Precision digital conversion
- Clarett features Focusrite’s class-leading conversion quality: with up to 119dB dynamic range, Clarett offers the cleanest way yet to get music in and out of your DAW.
- Ideal for the Singer Songwriter
- Clarett 2Pre features a ten-in, four-out architecture with a host of features that will appeal to the Singer Songwriter or smaller stereo production environment. The two primary inputs are on the front panel in the form of mic/instrument/line combo XLR/TRS sockets, alongside a high power headphone output and all the necessary level controls.
- High-power headphone output
- The wide dynamic range headphone output is powerful enough to deliver plenty of level even on high impedance headphones – perfect for both tracking and mixing.
- Expandable for when you need it
- Every Clarett interface features an ADAT input: ideal for expanding the channel count and recording drums via a digital eight channel mic pre.
- ‘Gain Halo’ Metering
- Focusrite's unique ‘gain halo’ metering is provided around the gain dials, providing clear ‘go/no-go’ green/red indication of levels to avoid clipping.
- Software Mixer for maximum control
- Focusrite Control is a brand new software mixer designed for easy configuration of monitoring and routing setups. Simple and intuitive to use, Focusrite Control also allows immediate access to internal hardware functions.
- Classic processor plugins included
- Every Clarett includes the Red 2 & Red 3 AAX, AU & VST Plug-in Suite, which accurately models Focusrite’s classic Red range equalizer and compressor hardware.
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Specifications
- Mac: OSX (10.9/10.10)
- The popular Clarett range of Thunderbolt interfaces will be compatible with PCs (Windows 8.1 and 10) with the release of the Clarett Windows driver on the 10th of November. The driver enables users to run these interfaces with the growing number of Thunderbolt-equipped Windows computers, delivering identical functionality to that experienced on the Mac. Windows users will enjoy sub 3 milliseconds round trip latency, and the same reliable, stable operation as Mac-based Clarett owners already experience. The low latency allows users to record and monitor while using their favourite plug-ins in real time, as well as other DAW workflow benefits. Future iterations will add support for Thunderbolt 3 Type C connectivity.
- Due to the vast range of possible hardware combinations, our approach for Thunderbolt support on Windows is to qualify specific systems. Focusrite is currently testing with the following machines:
- HP ZBook
- Molten Technology Intel X99 based machine
- Lenovo Thinkpad W541
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt Audio Interface Includes
- Clarett 2 Pre
- Power Supply
- Getting Started Guide
- 1 GB of Loopmasters sample content
- Red 2 & 3 Plug-in Suite
- Two Year Warranty
Click here to view all Focusrite products