Drawmer 1968 MK2 2-Channel JFET Compressor
Drawmer 1968 2-Channel JFET Compressor, the ultimate do all compressor!
Drawmer 1968 2-Channel JFET Compressor Details
The 1968 is a 1U Tube/FET â??stereo busâ?? compressor which by design delivers a transparent â??openâ?? sound even during periods of heavy compression. Featured on both channels is a switchable â??BIGâ?? mode which applies less processing to the fundamental low frequency but still disciplines the upward associated harmonics which if untamed can result in a â??boomyâ?? or â??boxyâ?? sound. The result - a solid bottom end with enhanced sub-bass and a smoother, wider frequency response overall. The 1968 is a â??stripped downâ?? version of the 1969 introduced to the market by customer demand for those not requiring the instrument and mic preamps incorporated in the 2U 1969.
Drawmer 1968 2-Channel JFET Compressor Features
- Threshold: Determines the input level above which gain reduction will be applied and may be set in the range -30dB to infinity. Because the compression system is based on the Soft Knee principle, the onset of compression is progressive, so no Ratio control is necessary.
- Big: Makes the compressor side chain less sensitive to low bass frequencies, so reducing the ducking effect caused by bass energy and effectively boosting the bass output.
- Attack: Six switchable Attack settings are provided giving various settings. The actual attack time is further modified by the release setting chosen
- Attack Times: 1 2 ms, 2 8 msec, 3 15 msec, 4 25 msec, 5 30 msec, 6 50 msec
- Release: There are three fixed Release times and a further three which are programme dependent. Switch settings 1 through to 3 provide progressively increasing release times, while positions 4, 5 and 6 cause the release times to vary in a manner which automatically adapts to the dynamics of the incoming signal, as detailed below.
- Release Times: 1 100 ms (Fixed), 2 500 msec (Fixed), 3 1 sec (Fixed), 4 Semi-Auto 200 ms to 2 sec Signal dependent, 5 Semi-Auto 500 ms to 5 sec signal dependent, 6 Automatic 1 sec to 10 sec signal dependent
- Output: (Gain) The Output level may be amplified, or attenuated by up to 20dB to compensate for level changes caused by compression.
- VU Meter: A moving coil VU meter monitors either the level of the output signal or the amount of gain reduction taking place. Because the meter has VU characteristics, it closely reflects what is actually being heard, though will not respond quickly enough to register short signal peaks.
- VU +10dB/VU / GR: A three-position switch adjusts the meters to show either normal output level, gain reduction or VU +10dB mode, which re-scales the meter for users working at â??hotâ?? output levels. In other words, with the switch at VU +10dB - when the VU meter reads 0dB the actual level is +10dB.
- Side Chain/Norm S/C Listen: Routes the side-chain signal directly to the output allowing the effects of any additional side-chain processing, such as equalisation, to be monitored.
- Normal mode: The signal is passed through the compressor.
- Bypass: Takes the compressor and the vacuum tubes out of circuit path; the output signal is taken from the channel input point.
- Stereo Link: This makes Channel 1 controls the stereo master and disables the compressor stage of channel 2 when the unit is used for processing a stereo signal. Since the same gain reduction is applied to both audio channels no image shifting can occur.
Drawmer 1968 2-Channel JFET Compressor Specifications
- 2 Channel Tube/FET Compressor
- 2 soft-knee compressors with variable threshold, attack, release and output gain
- Switchable BIG control on each channel
- Dual mono or true stereo link operation
- Side chain access and side chain listen facility
- VU metering of gain reduction and output levels
- Switchable +10dB mode on VU re-scales
- the meter for users working at â??hotâ?? output levels.
- VU red warning glow to signify â??approaching clippingâ??
- Balanced +4dB XLR in/outs
What We Think - Drawmer 1968 MK2 Review
The Drawmer 1968 is a highly versatile compressor that will give great results no matter what you throw at it. Tracking, mixing, stereo buss, it can handle it all. Definitely a favorite for getting that big, punchy, beefy sound out of a drum buss.
Click here to view all Drawmer products