Applied Acoustics Chromaphone 2
Chromaphone 2 is a synthesizer that uses acoustic resonators to create percussion, mallet, string, and other unique sounds.
Chromaphone 2 captures key acoustic behaviors of musical instruments resulting in a library of truly expressive sounds in a vast range of sonic colors. Chromaphone 2 brings a new streamlined interface, a new equalizer and compressor module, a new multi-effect processor, a new drumhead resonator, and more. The factory library has been completely redesigned and includes signature presets by professional artists and sound designers.
Mix and match
Chromaphone combines acoustic resonators to create drums, percussion, string, and synth-like instruments. Membranes, bars, marimbas, plates, strings, and tubes form pairs that get sparked into life by a mallet and a flexible noise source. The resonators' material, tuning, and coupling parameters allow the creation of a wide range of instruments and sonic colors. Whether real, innovative, or with an ethnic touch, Chromaphone will fill your music with rich and organic tones.
Melodies and beats
Chromaphone's sound library includes a wide range of expressive and responsive instruments that span from warm and mellow pitched percussions for melodies to punchy one-shots and kits for rhythm tracks. A wooden bar makes a xylophone, turned metallic it becomes a glockenspiel. Adding a tube transforms it into a vibraphone or marimba. Plates shape up in bells and cymbals. Membranes are used for drum skins, combined with a tube they make bass drums, snares, congas and bongos.
One-shots are no longer limited to the velocity dimension. Chromaphone uses the entire keyboard range to modulate volume, mallet noise and stiffness, noise filter frequency and density, hit position, and coupling to open a whole world of expressive sounds—and that in a totally stepless fashion.
Creative drum kits
Chromaphone ships with ready-made creative kit patches where each note provides a new sound slightly different from the previous one. Over the entire keyboard range the sound morphs from bass drum to snare to hi-hat. Discover a mixture of electronic and acoustic qualities intertwined to form highly playable, addictive, and always fresh drum sounds.
A key feature of Chromaphone is a brand-new coupling technology. The coupling refers to the exchange of acoustic energy which occurs in real life between interacting objects. Consider a string bridged to a wooden soundboard, both have their own behavior and characteristics, but when assembled together, they merge into a complex string instrument. In a similar way, a metal bar interacts with the air column from a tube in a vibraphone. Chromaphone is the first and only plug-in to provide control over the coupling of resonators. The result is vivid instruments with unmatched acoustic precision, sharpness and realism.
Applied Acoustics Chromaphone 2 Features
- Factory library
- The completely renewed factory library has well over 600 production-ready sounds classified for fast and intuitive exploration.
- Drumhead resonator
- This new model reproduces precisely how a real drumhead vibrates resulting in super realistic and responsive drums and percussions.
- Envelope mode
- The envelope generator for the noise source is now equipped with an AHD mode for carving precise one-shots.
- Noise filter bank
- The noise source spectrum can now be tailored with a 10-band filter bank for fine control of the tone.
- Low-cut filter
- Resonators have been complemented with a low-cut filter to control the clarity of an instrument response.
- Add motion and give a new perspective to sounds with the new built-in arpeggiator module.
- Source mixer
- Fine control of the mallet and noise sources to shape the attack and sustain phase of sounds with precision.
- Compressor and equalizer
- These new additions are perfect to add punch and definition to your sound, letting you cut through any dense mix or stage.
- The new output limiter protects your ears and monitors during experimentation with the synth’s parameters while providing a maximum of distortion-free dynamics.
- Streamlined interface
- Redesigned from the ground up, the new interface now divides Chromaphone 2 into three panels: Play presents shortcuts to the performance and effect parameters including bypass switches for quick edits; Edit lets you tweak and create your sound; while FX supplies equalizer, compressor, multi-effect, and reverb processors for a final sheen.
- Microtonal tunings
- Chromaphone 2 now supports the Scala scale file format for microtonal music making.
- NEAT Backward compatible with Chromaphone 1 presets
- Simply copy your banks from Chromaphone 1 in Chromaphone 2‘s bank folder to convert them.
- UPDATED Overhauled effects
- Reinvigorated and polished, Chromaphone 2’s multi-effect processor features our best sounding chorus, delay, phaser, flanger, distortion, notch filter, wah-wah, auto-wah, and reverb to date!
- Entirely based on physical modeling for outstanding sound quality
- Top quality preset library
- Real time calculation of sound—no samples
- 32-bit floating point internal processing
- Sample rates up to 192 kHz
- Easy sharing of presets
- Unlimited undo/redo capability
- Standard plug-in formats support
- MIDI program change support
- High quality integrated master effects: chorus, delay, and reverb
- Host tempo synchronization
- Dynamic voice allocation and CPU overhead protection
Applied Acoustics Chromaphone 2 Specifications
- Mac minimum system requirements
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Intel Core processor or later
- 512 MB of RAM
- 70 MB of free hard drive space
- Mac compatibility
- VST 32-bit/64-bit, Audio Units 32-/64-bit, RTAS, and AAX Native plug-in hosts
- Mac OS X-compatible audio interface
- PC minimum system requirements
- Windows XP SP3 32-bit or Vista, 7, 8, or 10 32‑/64‑bit
- Intel Core or equivalent processor
- 512 MB of RAM
- 70 MB of free hard drive space
- PC compatibility
- VST 32-bit/64-bit, RTAS, and AAX Native plug-in hosts
- ASIO and DirectSound audio drivers
Click here to view all Applied Acoustics products