ADK CS Tube Microphone (Custom Shop) Details
The new ADK Custom Shop CS Tube Microphones are Class A (Discrete) 9 Polar-Pattern Tube (Valve) Condenser Microphones built as "One-Offs" using a custom Belgium-Designed PC Board built with Hi-Fi methods and materials, using a "No-Corners-Cut" approach. Features German Hand-Selected Valve, Top-of-the-Line Components (like a USA Jensen Transformer) with Australian-Designed GK capsules from the Custom Shop "Capsule-Bank". Based on ADK's Area 51 TT Chassis, this is a totally Customized Product can be built "One-Off" for each client based on one's preference for Historical, Vintage Curves -Microphone Response Characteristics.
Choose Your Capsule:
ADK Custom Shop CS-47
The CS-47 has Mellow, yet, Historically "Later" Microphone Response Curve. Smooth but with Attitude.
ADK Custom Shop CS-251
The CS-251 has a silky, ambient 'air-band' boost, similar to a famous Vintage Austrian Tube Microphone.
ADK Custom Shop CS-12
The CS-12 is the Most Brilliant of all ADK CS-Series Custom Valve Microphones. Almost Effervescent High-End.
ADK Custom Shop CS-67
The CS-67 has the early 60's vibe. Almost imperceptibly Mellow. Scoops nasal, sibilance issues in a subtle way.
ADK Custom Shop CS-49
The ADK Custom Shop CS-49 is more of a vintage 50's vibe taken from the "7" capsule. Very smooth, almost dark top with a full mid and round bottom. Great for vocal and strings. Seriously, if you've ever felt like every other tube microphone is still too bright for you on top, but you like the responsiveness of a tube powered condenser capsule, then THIS is the choice for you!
Choose Your Transformer:
- Jensen USA Transformer: The Jensen adds a bit of a "smiley face" character to the response of the CS microphone. Translated, that means a lifted top and bottom. It's like having a built in sweetening curve on top of the capsule's response.
- Lundahl Transformer: Lundahl transformers are known for their flat-frequency-response. So, nothing is hyped here. This is a great choice with the CS-67 variant (makes the CS-67-L). The Lundahl keeps the top smooth and the perception of the midrange is that it is increased. The lows stay well behaved - not bloomy. But certainly not a boring choice of transformer! The music is in the mid-range.
- Sowter Transformer: There is just something "magical" that happens with the Sowter when you choose it to go in the CS-12 or in the CS-251. The mid-range comes alive in a special fashion.
ADK CS Tube Microphone (Custom Shop) Features
- German Hand-Selected Valve
- Top-of-the-Line Components (such as your choice of these 3 premium mic transformers: USA Jensen , Lundahl, or Sowter)
- Australian-Designed GK capsules from the Custom Shop "Capsule-Bank"
ADK CS Tube Microphone (Custom Shop) Includes
- Premium Aluminum Flight Case
- 1 x Shock Mount
- 1 x Ring Mount
- 1 x Foam Windscreen
- 1 x Pop Filter
- TT-200 Power Supply w 9 Polar Pattern
- Two US Made Accusound QUAD Shielded OFC XLR Cable. USA Accusound CX-4 Quad and CX-7 OFC Cables with real European Neutrik Intereconnects: 1 x 7-Pin Tube Mic XLR Cable and 1 x 3-Pin XLR Mic/Line cable
What We Think - ADK CS Tube Microphone Review
"Some of the best sounding and musically useful microphones available that are tailored in the vintage-vein, the ADK Custom Shop CS microphones have converted the greats who know their microphones and could use anything they desired, such as Ray Charles, Amy Grant, and Lenny Kravitz. These microphones really have that extra-special something. The fine folks at ADK really love what they do. It's a passion to not only provide the best microphones that they can possibly produce, but to give the end user the best possible service and value they can. Premium components are matched by premium service. It's really that simple.
"I know that there are going to be plenty of people who are going to be skeptical only because they don't read hypey reviews in every magazine or in every forum thread about these mics. Frankly, marketing and push isn't really ADK's style. It's more of a word of mouth thing. It happens time and time again now; someone is looking to try out vocal mics. They never mention the ADK right off. However, I recommend to just try one. They end up sending the others back. Or if it's voicing wasn't the right one, they felt like the ADK still did something better enough to want to try a different capsule style. This is a great testimony, in my opinion. In fact it's a testimony that anytime I play a particular track that I recorded recently for an artist using an ADK CS-67-L (Lundahl Transformer Option), they always say, 'That vocal sounds incredible! What microphone is that?' It never fails...
"So, if you're hunting for the perfect microphone, definitely give an ADK CS Custom Shop a try. They're incredible on instruments as well. Give us a call and we can help to guide you on the right microphone and options to match what you're after."
Alan Moon - Front End Audio
Click here to view all ADK products